Cleaning the Engine Bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back when I first moved to Florida, first thing I did was get my truck muddy; it was inevitable. However I went a little overboard. So a year later, my engine bay still smells like a swamp, and that's not from lack of effort. Being an engineer, I'm weary of moisture in electronics. I've seen and worked on nightmare issues from water penetration. So my question is to you venturous folk, anything simple I can spray on my engine (and hoses especially) that will cut the mud to the bone and just rinse off? Like I said, I'm nervous about any kind of pressurized spray going under the hood. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've power washed the mud and debris caked engine bay several times, no issues, of course avoided direct spray to fuse box and the like. Did pre-soak setting first. Once you get the stinky mud and vegetation off the top of your headers and pipes, the smell goes away quicker. Use foaming tire cleaner on the insulation blanket on bottom of hood, then power wash all the dirt away, do not use a brush on the insulation blanket.

OP
OP
Mariner

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've power washed the mud and debris caked engine bay several times, no issues, of course avoided direct spray to fuse box and the like. Did pre-soak setting first. Once you get the stinky mud and vegetation off the top of your headers and pipes, the smell goes away quicker. Use foaming tire cleaner on the insulation blanket on bottom of hood, then power wash all the dirt away, do not use a brush on the insulation blanket.
Does this clean the mud caked on all the rubber hoses too? I removed my CAI to clean the box and I literally had to take steel wool to the rubber surfaces to clean off the mud stains. It was just a test but a super PITA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's what I did after TRR this year:

It was about two days after I got home. Filled a bucket with soapy water, rolled up my sleeves, and hand scrubbed the shit out if everything. Carefully rinsed all the soap off. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

I don't care what anyone says, there is no replacement for good old hands - on cleaning when it comes to the engine bay. Get a kitchen scrubber for under the wife's sink and use it for the areas you can't quit reach. Once it's all rinsed, you'll be surprised how good it looks.

But if you've waited this long, that crappy looking hose is probably gonna look like that until you replace it. Maybe try some tire shine or something to cover up the worst looking stuff.

Good luck!!!

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, cleans up real nice, you won't get shiny new looking black hoses, but gets 90% of dirt stain out, then wipe hoses down with Adam's VRT or in/out spray. When your engine bay looks like this, a gentle spray just doesn't cut it. Figured if this truck can drive for hours through mud and water and have engine bay like this, a power wash won't hurt it. If it did, I would trade for a Chevy, haha.

Attachments

• mud debris.jpg
    mud debris.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 693
OP
OP
Mariner

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's what I did after TRR this year:

It was about two days after I got home. Filled a bucket with soapy water, rolled up my sleeves, and hand scrubbed the shit out if everything. Carefully rinsed all the soap off. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

I don't care what anyone says, there is no replacement for good old hands - on cleaning when it comes to the engine bay. Get a kitchen scrubber for under the wife's sink and use it for the areas you can't quit reach. Once it's all rinsed, you'll be surprised how good it looks.

But if you've waited this long, that crappy looking hose is probably gonna look like that until you replace it. Maybe try some tire shine or something to cover up the worst looking stuff.

Good luck!!!
Yeah I'm with you there on the good old fashioned elbow grease, I figured that was my next move. I just hate showing people my engine bay knowing it looks terrible. I'm actually detailing the outside of my truck tomorrow, I guess I'll scrub the engine bay while I'm at it. Thanks for the input!

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Yep, cleans up real nice, you won't get shiny new looking black hoses, but gets 90% of dirt stain out, then wipe hoses down with Adam's VRT or in/out spray. When your engine bay looks like this, a gentle spray just doesn't cut it. Figured if this truck can drive for hours through mud and water and have engine bay like this, a power wash won't hurt it. If it did, I would trade for a Chevy, haha.
Wow! Mine doesn't look that bad haha but it's not pretty, especially down low. I'm not too concerned about brand new hoses, but it definitely could use a little work. Thanks!