Cleaned up the pain this weekend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
When I bought it with 6k miles the truck was covered in fine swirls. Not aweful, but in the sun it definitely reduced the depth of the paint. So the plan was to polish them down and wax it. Well, turns out, once I started getting the surface swirls out the deeper scratches all became apparent. The roof also had a row of scratches from my garage door this past winter. So out came the Meguiars 105, Ultimate compound and Ultimate polish. I had no idea it would take so long to get the scratches out. I still don't have any sealant on it yet.

After the clay bar

After compound and polish

Horrible scratches from the garage door
IMG_20150621_173144787_zpsiyhwi2bj.jpg

Roof after. :)
8cef54ac-16ac-4a5b-b250-0891eeb79191_zpsu3ehkgxi.jpg

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How deep where the scrathces? I have a couple that my finger nail wont get stuck in. I would like to get them out

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
How deep where the scrathces? I have a couple that my finger nail wont get stuck in. I would like to get them out

Deep enough that I didn't think any would come out. There are only 4 long ones left but they're very faint unless you look with the right angle.

There were also a good number on the doors. Megs Ultimate Compound is great for swirls but it's a lot of work for anything beyond a superficial scratch.

M105 plus a yellow Lake Country pad works great. It still took quite a few passes and there are still some faint ones on the doors but I don't want to remove too much clear. I really have no way to measure how much I'm taking down and how much buffer I have left for future corrections.

I've read lots of warnings about 105 and "burning through" the clear coat but it didn't seem to be a problem. That or I just can't tell if I'm looking at clear or paint.