Caring for Paint Treated with Opti-Coat Pro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I postponed my detail this week thanks to the forecasted next 2 weeks of rain here in Houston. Anyway, I'm going to have a 3-bucket wash, vehicle sanitized, clay, paint correction, and Opti-Coat Pro on the entire truck. Once all this is done, I want to maintain the truck's opti-coat finish. I figured wash and dry as normal (will probably use Adam's Products with Grit Guard), but wanted to know what will go good on top of the Opti-Coat Pro. Since Opti-Coat gives a "wax-like" finish is it worth to add a layer of wax on top? Or should I just stick with a glaze? Also, later on down the road can I claybar the Opti-Coat if it happens to catch any imperfections (although it's supposed to be harder than regular paint)?

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I postponed my detail this week thanks to the forecasted next 2 weeks of rain here in Houston. Anyway, I'm going to have a 3-bucket wash, vehicle sanitized, clay, paint correction, and Opti-Coat Pro on the entire truck. Once all this is done, I want to maintain the truck's opti-coat finish. I figured wash and dry as normal (will probably use Adam's Products with Grit Guard), but wanted to know what will go good on top of the Opti-Coat Pro. Since Opti-Coat gives a "wax-like" finish is it worth to add a layer of wax on top? Or should I just stick with a glaze? Also, later on down the road can I claybar the Opti-Coat if it happens to catch any imperfections (although it's supposed to be harder than regular paint)?

Ive been detailing for a while but Im not very familiar with this coating process. I follow Lucci Elite out of Cali and they really jumped on the wagon with this product. From what little research I have done, its a resin that goes over the clear. Car needs to be clayed probably twice over, then high speed buffed for best results. I think it would depend on the quality of the product as to if claying would be safe. I would have to think a high pressure system would peel it right off. Im going to have to try this out. Post results when your finished please.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, waxing over OC is fine, but not really necessary. The OC will last longer than the wax you put on top of it, so you're sort of at the point of diminishing returns here.

Glazing is an option, but most don't last long at all as they are designed to be a beauty product, not a protection product.

I'd just maintain it with a proper 2 bucket wash system and a pH neutral soap, like ours. ;)

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, waxing over OC is fine, but not really necessary. The OC will last longer than the wax you put on top of it, so you're sort of at the point of diminishing returns here.

Glazing is an option, but most don't last long at all as they are designed to be a beauty product, not a protection product.

I'd just maintain it with a proper 2 bucket wash system and a pH neutral soap, like ours. ;)

Gotcha...so would the Adam's Buttery Wax bring any extra shine to the paint more than the OC Pro? Or would it be a waste of time.

And I'm in need of a couple good buckets, mitt, soap, and towels...just waiting for y'all to have another good sale/daily special. :wave:

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotcha...so would the Adam's Buttery Wax bring any extra shine to the paint more than the OC Pro? Or would it be a waste of time.

And I'm in need of a couple good buckets, mitt, soap, and towels...just waiting for y'all to have another good sale/daily special. :wave:

Buttery will add a little bit of shine, yes. It can't hurt your shine over the OC, that's for sure.

That being said, how shiny your paint is depends largely on how well it's been polished. Swirls/scratches in the finish cause a dullness as they reflect the light and don't allow it to shine.

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Buttery will add a little bit of shine, yes. It can't hurt your shine over the OC, that's for sure.

That being said, how shiny your paint is depends largely on how well it's been polished. Swirls/scratches in the finish cause a dullness as they reflect the light and don't allow it to shine.

It will have a full paint correction before the Opti-Coat is applied.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick, what do you think of Opti Coat? Is it snake oil, or a legitement product? Pro's and Con's

OP
OP
Nick@Apollo-Optics

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't have it installed yet. But from all the pictures and reviews I've seen, it seems to be a very good product. Now, I have not seen the results or long-term effects of Opti-Coat 2.0, which is the consumer version. I have only seen the results of a vehicle treated with Opti-Coat Pro and it looked very nice and the owner was pleased with the results. That's while I'll be applying it to the Raptor. One more layer of protection on black paint and it minimizes the amount of maintenance it will take to maintain the depth/clarity of the paint. And hopefully offer more protection from off-roading and what-not.

Silnus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have it installed yet. But from all the pictures and reviews I've seen, it seems to be a very good product. Now, I have not seen the results or long-term effects of Opti-Coat 2.0, which is the consumer version. I have only seen the results of a vehicle treated with Opti-Coat Pro and it looked very nice and the owner was pleased with the results. That's while I'll be applying it to the Raptor. One more layer of protection on black paint and it minimizes the amount of maintenance it will take to maintain the depth/clarity of the paint. And hopefully offer more protection from off-roading and what-not.

This

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Nick, what do you think of Opti Coat? Is it snake oil, or a legitement product? Pro's and Con's

I wouldn't call it snake oil, no. It's just not a product that we will likely ever carry.

The kicker with OC, especially the Pro version, is that truly should be applied by a professional as it's not very easy to work with. The 2.0 is a little more forgiving, but you lose out on longevity with it, so there's a trade off.

Both of our sealants are very user friendly and last many months before they being to degrade. 6-8+ months is not out of the realm of possibility from Machine Super Sealant or Quick Sealant.

And hopefully offer more protection from off-roading and what-not.

Be sure to go in with realistic expectations here. While it does act as a protective barrier for your clear coat, it's a microscopic one. It's not a coat of armor designed to protect you from run-ins with tree branches, rocks, or other things you'll meet out on the trail.