Bringing faded black finishes back to life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wrote this as an update to my Venom thread (http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/add-venom-bumper-rigid-20-led-install-=-way-too-many-pics-10133/), but I figured it applied here. So here goes :)

Over the past year this bumper has seen somewhere around 25k miles, with maybe 2k of those being off road. Its seen everything from of sand and mud, to gravel and snow. But maybe the harshest stuff its seen has been salt; either the caustic stuff out in the middle of some ancient dried lake bed...

P1000388_1024.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

to the stuff they spread on iced up roads and logging trails...

2013-01-06065807_zps40dc7b5a.jpg

2013-01-05134654_zpsbbb54d7b.jpg

And through it all the bumper and LED light served without issue. I've been seriously impressed at how trouble free both have been; no rust, no dings, no chipping, no welds cracking, no anything coming loose, and the light fires each and every time.

But all the abuse has left a mark. The finish on the bumper was starting to show its age (these were taken right after a fresh wash, and after trying my best to scrub them clean with a sponge and soap)

2013-04-05152544_zpsede20af4.jpg

2013-04-05152550_zps095607cb.jpg

I sent a few pics to Micah (of ADD) and he got right back to me, suggesting I give a product called "Back-to-Black" a try. This stuff:

06108SN__57827.1355433972.1280.1280.jpg

And sure enough, the finish looks good as new

2013-04-06083927_zpsb944a7bd.jpg

2013-04-06083952_zpsb7e9d7ca.jpg

2013-04-06084003_zpsed08840f.jpg

with_zpsece9da01.jpg

Based on the Back-to-Black reviews, I think I can expect it to need to be reapplied every once in a while. But its a small price to pay to have the thing look as good as new, especially after knowing the kind of crap I've put it through.

So, bottom line? I'm just as happy today with this bumper/light combo as I was day one. Seems I still get asked about it specifically a couple times a week. Its definitely one of the more attention grabbing mods I've made.

Anyone have any experience with Back-to-Black? How long does it last? Is it a restorer, or its is more like an Amour All type coating? Any suggestions regarding alternatives? Like I said, I'm really stoked at how it looks and even if I have to reapply after every couple of washes, I'm not worried about. But if someone has another idea, I'd be interested to hear it!

Last edited:

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back to Black isn't going to last very long at all, only last about a week for me or if I wash my truck before a week is up. It streaks also in the rain. Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant works so much better and last a lot longer, like a couple months and beads water really well. Goes on very thin and goes a long way. My experience with all of these is on vinyl, rubber, plastic, and wiper arms, not anything powder coated.

Other more permanent solutions would be CarPro CQuartz DLux, Solution Finish, or Tuf Shine Black Restore.

Last edited:

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Your Venom looks great.
You should give this stuff a try when you get a chance.
Adam's VRT
This stuff is Amazing!
Leaves no residue and a little goes a long way.

512.jpg

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a Harley Davidson dealership nearby you can swing in and pick up an aerosol can of "Pig Spit" or find it online from countless vendors. Far easier to use on textured products like ADD's powder coat than Mother's Back to Black is.

71G%2BnmwrIiL._SL1500_.jpg

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Be cautious of the various "black" specific products out there. They often contain dyes and fillers they will fade/wash away very quickly.

Our Super VRT (SVRT) is a water-based product, not silicone, so it stay's put once you apply it. It dries to a nice, matte finish. No greasy, shiny looking stuff here.

It's water-resistant and also contains SPF 35 so it protects from the harmful effects of the sun.

You can also use it on anything else that's Vinyl (V) Rubber (R) or Tires (T).