Best way to clean/ De-rust the under carriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
I have a 2011 ford raptor, northern truck with some mild rust in a lot of areas under the truck. I want to know the best way to remove this rust and get the under carriage looking pristine and brand new.

Any tips to go about doing this? Is sand blasting a good idea? Scrubbing it down with like Wire brush or sand paper, or chemicals? Not sure the best route to go on this

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is rusting along the rocker seams. There's some other surface rust starting in various places as well.

My plan is to use 3M Mar-Hyde One step Rust Converter first. Spray it right on the rust and it converts it to a hard black surface. I've used it before- it works well. Then I will top coat those same areas with Rustoleum Pro matte black. Last, I'm going to flood the rockers with fluid film.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was thinking about sandblasting also, but it seems like there is a lot of prep to go that route. I'd follow up with a coating of por-15 primer and chassis black top coat.