Best drying towel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glamisbound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel like i cant find a good way to dry my truck. Tried chamois, work okay but dont like how they harden after a use. Tried the blue sponge rag type thing and it works okay but leaves streaks and again dries out and hardens. Picked up a large dryin cloth towel from the auto store and it still leaves streaks. What are your guys favorites?

cobrajet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feel like i cant find a good way to dry my truck. Tried chamois, work okay but dont like how they harden after a use. Tried the blue sponge rag type thing and it works okay but leaves streaks and again dries out and hardens. Picked up a large dryin cloth towel from the auto store and it still leaves streaks. What are your guys favorites?

Been using "The Absorber" for years and haven't found anything better.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We have 2 options and it really comes down to personal preference -

The Waffle Weave Drying Towel is probably the one most people are familiar with. Holds a ton of water and is a nice lightweight towel. For something the size of the Raptor I'd say have 2, just in case - but 1 can usually do an entire truck if you sheet rinse to remove the standing water first.

My personal favorite is our jumbo Plush Microfiber Drying towel... its HUGE and its made from super plush fluffy microfiber. I have had no issue drying a full size crew cab pickup with just one of these towels.

Regardless of which one you choose microfiber is going to offer some things that a synthetic 'shammy' isn't going to.

Its recommended you mist your paint with a quick detailer (like our Polymer Detail Spray) while the paint is wet. This gives you added lubrication to prevent swirls, plus it helps prevent water spots and leaves a layer of gloss and protection behind. A chamois/shammy isn't going to play well with any chemicals and will just smear the spray around.

The other reason is the ability of the material to deal with grit - a microfiber towel (either plush or waffle weave) has room for any grit to retreat into while drying, so if you pick something up along the way or missed a spot washing the odds that you'll do damage are greatly reduced. With a synthetic chamois there really isn't that same aspect, so any grit that is potentially picked up is ground directly into the surface, increasing the risk of damage.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score

The Waffle Weave Drying Towel is probably the one most people are familiar with. Holds a ton of water and is a nice lightweight towel. For something the size of the Raptor I'd say have 2, just in case - but 1 can usually do an entire truck if you sheet rinse to remove the standing water first.

My personal favorite is our jumbo Plush Microfiber Drying towel... its HUGE and its made from super plush fluffy microfiber. I have had no issue drying a full size crew cab pickup with just one of these towels.

Regardless of which one you choose microfiber is going to offer some things that a synthetic 'shammy' isn't going to.

Its recommended you mist your paint with a quick detailer (like our Polymer Detail Spray) while the paint is wet. This gives you added lubrication to prevent swirls, plus it helps prevent water spots and leaves a layer of gloss and protection behind. A chamois/shammy isn't going to play well with any chemicals and will just smear the spray around.

The other reason is the ability of the material to deal with grit - a microfiber towel (either plush or waffle weave) has room for any grit to retreat into while drying, so if you pick something up along the way or missed a spot washing the odds that you'll do damage are greatly reduced. With a synthetic chamois there really isn't that same aspect, so any grit that is potentially picked up is ground directly into the surface, increasing the risk of damage.

The detail spray is the best advice by far. It makes a huge difference in the drying procedure. Some companies make a "conditioner" which does about the same thing. You will find you get more water with each swipe and the towel picks up more water with each swipe. You also do not leave little beads of water like you can do with just a drying towel. It makes all the difference in the world!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use a towel from Adams I believe it's the great white drying towel. It's similar to the surf city waffle towel I would guess. I also must with detail spray and it works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
glamisbound

glamisbound

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Awesome write up! Thanks a ton for the info! Never heard of spraying it with a detailer while its wet so thats good to know.