Before and Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up and great looking truck. I would think that clay barring sure 40f would be a little more challenging. Maybe next time bring it in the garage?

Also, when I use the detail spray in my truck I'd use about 1/3 of the bottle. I didn't realize that was a lot for a large truck.

Check out some of the great write ups from @TheWolf. He gives a lot of tips.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

H O L I D A Y CHEER Event fundraiser
Donate $10 for a chance to win a 50" light bar.
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=929496
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

oh, and if you have time, Submit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

D

Deleted member 12951

I commend you for washing your truck in those temperatures and with snow on the ground. My vehicles don't get any love during the winter months and if needed, going to the manual car wash for a quickie mainly to get the salt off.

Are you using some type of glove or your bare hand during all your cleaning?

OP
OP
hh65flyer

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reply...

Truck turned out very nice! Great title on this thread, too!

Thanks! Yeah, I thought that was kind of clever... ;-)

For the Deep Wheel Cleaner, did you apply it to a dry wheel or was the wheel already wet? It needs to be applied first, to a dry wheel.

Applied to a dry wheel...

The clay bar would be a little more stiff at a colder temp, even if stored outside. Once it hits the cold metal, it cools off pretty quick.

Yes, this is true.

As far as not seeming to pick much up, did the paint feel smooth after use, or could you still feel bumps?

Relatively smooth, but still some bumps. Maybe it was just that clean? I didn't do the zip-loc baggie test.

For the Detail Spray, it does seem to take a lot or product, especially when working on a wet truck, since the Detail Spray gets diluted with the standing water.

Exactly what I experienced.

A couple work-arounds are drying first, so you only need a little DS to provide lubrication for the clay, or go off-label and use diluted Rinseless Wash as your lubrication. Let me know if you want to try this method, and I can give some guidance. Also, since claying would only typically be done twice a year, the excess use of the DS ends up not being too much of an additional cost.

Definitely don't want to go through 1/3 of a bottle every week! (exactly).

Yes, the H2O Guard & Gloss is a thick, gloopy product that does not spray very well. But, this is not much of an issue, other than seeming strange, since you have to spread it around with the wet towel anyway. That is, the HGG is not a "spray and walk away" product, so the gloops don't matter. Also, remember to shake the product while you are using it. I shake before every spray, as it separates quickly. It is definitely a somewhat weird product, but it works so well at protecting all the surfaces. Lastly, I picked up one of the Premium Dilution Bottles for the HGG, which does have a more powerful spray head.

I did my wife's car later and really concentrated on the shaking between every spray. I also used a much more 'authoritative' squeeze of the trigger which seemed to help atomize (Adamize?) the product. There were still globs but not as bad. True, it doesn't matter as much since we are wiping it all around anyway.

On the Tire Shine, sounds like you used quite a bit of product, but this is somewhat normal on tires that are dried out. Once you get the rubber sealed up with TS, then it takes much less product.

I get what you are saying here but I'm just talking about coverage not effectiveness. Perhaps I didn't need to use as much if I went into the application knowing I was going to have to spread it around manually (whether with a rag or foam block). I don't have the foam applicator. Again, this is not a 'walk-away' product.

For example, I did the back faces of my tires, and it took a coupel heavy applications. For the fronts of my tires, 5-6 sprays is more than enough. To help with the overspray and also with getting the TS into the tread block, spray the produc directly onto the tread block only, not the sidewall. Then, use the Pro Tire Hex Grip Applicator to work the product onto the sidewalls and down to the edge of the wheel, and then go after the tread block with in-and-out motion, rather than in a circle around the wheel. This allows the applicator to conform to the tread block, and get down into the grooves. If you just go around the tread block in a circle, the applicator mostly rides on top of the treads, and does not get down into them. This is also a product that I switched over to the Premium Dilution Bottle.

For both the HGG and TS, the colder temp may have caused a little more of an issue with spraying, but they are both thicker, gloopy products and will spray weird at any temp.

Next time, see if these tips help out. I have found that using a new product sometimes takes a few uses to get the technique just right.

Will-do!! Thanks for the detailed (pun intended) reply Dan!!!

And the best part? If you end up not liking any of the products, send them back for the 110% guarantee. We want everyone to be able to try any of our products, without any risk of ending up with something that does not work for you.

Thanks again, and let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Nice write up and great looking truck. I would think that clay barring sure 40f would be a little more challenging. Maybe next time bring it in the garage?

Perhaps. I only heat my garage to about 40-45 however!!

Also, when I use the detail spray in my truck I'd use about 1/3 of the bottle. I didn't realize that was a lot for a large truck.

So you are OK with $13 every three washes? I have used similar products that have lasted all summer, two vehicles, $4 from Wally-World. I should say 'similar' results...not necessarily a similar product. I have no doubt the Adam's stuff is higher quality but if results are similar...

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

I commend you for washing your truck in those temperatures and with snow on the ground. My vehicles don't get any love during the winter months and if needed, going to the manual car wash for a quickie mainly to get the salt off.

Are you using some type of glove or your bare hand during all your cleaning?

Thanks...just my bear hand. Must be a Montana thing!! LOL. I did use warm water in the bucket(s) however...

OP
OP
hh65flyer

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lx450

Did the wife's car yesterday afternoon. Her car was much worse than the Raptor.

She was thrilled with the results and loved the 'smell' of her clean car. :mwah1: Although she still hates her winter 'Gangster' wheels!

I tried a different detail spray as lubricant for the clay bar. That didn't work well. So I went back to the Adam's detail spray. I skipped spraying the entire vehicle though and just used it as additional lube (didn't dry car first) when necessary. I also only clayed the hood, grill, windows, mirror housings, and a few other spots.

H2O G&G afterwards. Still loving the G&G!!

Pictures aren't great as it was getting dark and it rained the entire time I was working on the car. Did all the final steps in the garage...did not dress the tires (raining out anyway).

My wash mitt was just about ruined after washing her car! I did use the two bucket method...the car was filthy.

OP
OP
hh65flyer

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After:

Again, hard to see with the dark photos and light colored (Pearl White) car. But it turned out nice.

Attachments

• p1020961(rev 0).jpg
    p1020961(rev 0).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 98
  • p1020962(rev 0).jpg
    p1020962(rev 0).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 98
  • p1020963(rev 0).jpg
    p1020963(rev 0).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 99

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The wife's car turn out nice @hh65flyer!

Thanks for your replies above, we appreciate the feedback and want you to be satisfied with all the products you try.

Another tip, once you find that you like a product and it is one that gets used often, like Detail Spray and H2O Guard & Gloss, consider purchasing the gallon refills, which ends up reducing the cost-per-ounce to half or less. For example, the 16oz Detail Spray is about $0.81/oz before discounts, and the normal price on a gallon comes it at $0.35/oz. With the HGG, the cost difference is 50% less per ounce. This really lowers the cost-per-use.

And don't worry about what the neighbors think, they are probably just jealous your rides look so good!

-Dan

OP
OP
hh65flyer

hh65flyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, I got an e-mail from my salesman at Wendle...they have two more used Raptors for sale. Supposedly one is supercharged...

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Oh, I was watching an old (2011) Adam's video on the Tube covering winter washing. Interesting that the spray bottles used back then had a 'Foam' setting. I think that could be useful for the AP, DWC and DS. More unsolicited feedback...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sv4KthAFTs