any ideas on engine cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
You can get engine detailing done at a professional car wash. I checked last summer and it's around $500

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending on how nasty it is, (I DO NOT CONDONE THIS) but many have wrapped electrical components in either tin foil or saran wrap and gone to town with either a hose or pressure washer.

What I personally do is never let it get that dirty in the first place. Then to detail it, I make sure it's warm, like let it sit for about 10-20 minutes after a drive and then douse the engine bay with Turtle Wax F-21 Tire Foam. Close the hood to the safety latch and let it sit for another 10-15 minutes. Come out with a rag and toothbrush and go to town.

I have pictures at home of my Mustang that I'd do that way and it GLISTENED!

Look it up, it's a pretty popular method.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Assuming it's the outside, there are many methods of doing this. There isn't just one. It seems that people have their personal preference. Some like to mist water on first and some think that it is some sort of "witchcraft" to do so. Just try google and you see a few methods.

Let me google that for you

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Assuming it's the outside, there are many methods of doing this. There isn't just one. It seems that people have their personal preference. Some like to mist water on first and some think that it is some sort of "witchcraft" to do so. Just try google and you see a few methods.

Let me google that for you

ROFLFMAO - I use that site at work on certain clients that can appreciate a sense of humor!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I always use degreaser and a hose. Just try not to hit the wires, spray the electrical down with wd40 and then let it completely dry before u drive it

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Lol Bird - there you go with the WD40 again! At least you're washing it off and not relying on it as a reliable lubricant.
And no - don't go there with the **** lube again...:)

mblgjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your Aluminum is scuzzy; Busch aluminum wash does great.

Metal : Busch Enterprises, Headquarters for Premium Shine-Zone Products

For general dirt/crud, almost any diluted APC will do ok. SimpleGreen diluted 4:1 or Optimum PowerClean both do well.

Meguiar's HyperDressing diluted 4:1 also does wonders for keeping everything looking new and easier to clean in the future. It also works perfectly on framerails and wheelwells.