Any acceptable brushes for washing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwakgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there any acceptable brushes or some mitt-on-a-stick operation? I guess I could buy a ladder or similar instead but it seems like it would be easier to wash the truck with a bit more reach vs. just being up a little higher.

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its a question I'm asked a lot, and I've tested tons of options without ever finding something thats going to be paint safe and easy to use around your truck.

I had the best luck with the 'flow thru' style RV boars hair brushes, where the brush is continually flushed with clean water, but the drawback was it took the soap with it as well so you ended up with no lubrication/soap on the panel, and thus swirl marks. Plus it was extremely expensive for a quality one.

Personally, I climb in the bed to do the back half of the cab and the forward half I use a small step ladder with good grip so wet shoes don't slip for the front half. Sucks having to climb up on something to wash - but part of the deal when detailing/washing a big vehicle.

Look on the bright side - its REALLY easy to clean the fender liners versus something low ;)

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'll echo exactly what Dylan said. There are no 100% safe options that exist out there unfortunately.

With my long monkey arms, I can reach almost the entire cab of my truck with a wash pad by standing in the bed. The rest I reach by standing on a milk crate beside the doors.

OP
OP
mwakgp

mwakgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's what I figured but searched without luck. I'll go ladder shopping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use one of those 20" gorilla platform "ladders". It's a couple feet wide so you can set it next to the cab and walk along it to get the entire length of the top of the cab. Makes it very easy for waxing too since you don't have to keep moving the ladder. Not as big of a deal if you don't have a bedcover and can stand in the bed, but if you have a hard tonneau or folding one where you don't want it open while cleaning, the platform ladders work great.

WP-20_4.jpg

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just step on the side rails; sometimes I open the door and gently wash being careful not to get any water inside the truck.

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one aspect of owning my previous Jeep that I will miss. I ripped out the carpet and had the interior bed-lined. I just took the doors off and hosed everything off after a day of wheeling. The Raptor is so nice, I've hand-washed it three times in two weeks! I duct-taped a sponge to a telescoping ice-scraper and used it to get to the hard-to-reach areas. Worked just fine.