Advice on cleaning Method wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LONGISLANDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I purchased my first set of aftermarket wheels ever. They are Method Mesh wheels with the black matte finish. I usually wash my wheels with a brush and car wash soap after i wash my truck. This dose not seem to want to get the dirt off these wheels. Is there any product, or technique I can use to clean these wheels effectively without damaging the finish?

Mike

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Matte black is always a real challenge to care for on wheels, so #1 thing I'm going to recommend it patience - you'll need it LOL

For light contamination you'll want to use soaps or quick detailers that contain no wax. Wax can build up on the surface of matte paints and cause blotchiness/haze thats difficult to remove.

Our Extreme Suds Balanced Wash is wax free and our Professional Polymer Detail Spray is an acrylic resin base so both are safe for light cleanings/wipe downs on matte finish wheels.

Now - if you run into a situation where the wheels are more dirty than just soap and water washing can handle you can use a HIGHLY diluted mixture of our APC Concentrate. This product is not ready to use out of the bottle - we recommend at least 4:1 dilution and for matte wheels I'd say go even further to be safe - somewhere around 8:1 or 10:1.

I also find it much more effective to use a short knap microfiber wash mitt or just a wet microfiber towel on matte wheels. Brushes just don't seem to work as well on matte as they do on gloss/smooth finish wheels.

If you run into a situation where the finish starts to look uneven or blotchy take a small amount of a water based trim conditioner like our Pro ETC and cut it with water. Apply liberally to the wheels (after cleaning) and then buff away the excess with a dry microfiber towel. This will even them back out and leave them looking dark, but not oily.

Hope that helps!

svtippy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just put my method mesh on and i wanna know how to clean them also so is just soap and water the consensus or should i use a wheel cleaner

Meyercord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy these to clean the wheel after applying a cleaner
DI Brushes EZ Detail Brush - Full Size | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
Swissvax USA: Wheel Cleaning brush

and use one of these cleaners.
Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus - 500 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner - 16 oz | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image
P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner - 1000 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

You can't go wrong with any of those three.

Don't forget to get a good apc to really get the tires clean before applying tire shine.
I'm sure surf city and adams both have products that will work just as well, I just don't have any experience with them. The surf city glass cleaner is pretty damn BOMB though!

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it's a painted metal surface, just like many painted metal and composite surfaces on the truck, wash it just like you would your painted body panels. Car soap and a soft wash mit.

Over time I've noticed they don't have quite the same "Brand new" look since you can't wax matte finishes like gloss. I simply use some Vinylex and lightly spray the rim and then wipe it in with a microfiber. It restores that brand spanking new matte finish look.