Scepter Gas Cans on Expedition Portal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
There is a member on Expedition Portal selling used Canadian made Scepter pre-CARB military gas cans (20L / 5 gal). He is selling them for $75 for 2 or $140 for 4 shipped. These are not available for sale new in the US and these prices are pretty reasonable (I have seen new ones sell for over $100 each). No word on whether or not these have the gasoline compatible Viton seals, but at this price you can make your own or buy from a contact in the thread.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57089

I bought 4 for myself.

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an exceptional buy, I have priced these at the last three guns shows and the cheapest price I could find was $50 each, the ones I looked at did not have the funnel either. Nice find!!!!

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Kaiser! These could be what we've been looking for.

Only concern I have now is one I hadn't thought of before - will these fit under the Bakflip? I think they may be too tall?

Edit:

Looks like they'll fit.

I have 20.5" of clear height from top of Bedrug to underside of lowest part of the Bakflip.

Here's what I found online:
SCEPTER MILITARY SPEC FUEL CANS (MFC)
Scepter's military fuel cans (MFC) are manufactured from extra tough, high molecular weight, high-density polyethylene.
The Scepter MFC fuel can exceeds the United Nations - Transport of Dangerous Goods Model Regulations and is Design Registered with Transport Canada, permitting its use universally for the transportation of fuels by all modes - air, sea, rail and road.
They feature seamless construction that is guaranteed never to leak and three integral handles and the flat rectangular shape of the old steel jerry cans that it replaced.
In military live-fire tests, the MFC melts and burns, but it does not explode.
Features/Specs:
Extra tough, Lightweight seamless plastic construction
Easy-open twist cap and built in internal air vent for vapor expansion
Three top handles permit carrying by two people
Flat rectangular shape fits most off-road jerry can racks
Will Not Rust, Crush or bend and it does not rattle
Designed not to explode when engulfed in a fire, unlike metal cans
Dimensions: 18.5'' x 14.5'' x 7''
Capacity: 20 Liters / 5.28 Gallons
Empty Weight: 6.6LB
Meets DOT Regulations
Military Specifications (MIL-C-53109) Approved
http://www.offroadtuff.com/scepter.htm

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FYI: I got the Sceptre cans today - thanks again Kaiser!

These things are even sturdier than I even imagined. I shouldn't be but I'm surprised at how durable these things are.

Couple of questions:

* I don't know what was in them before - perhaps it was diesel or gas or both or something else. Do I need to do anything to rinse/clean them out? If so, what do I do with whatever I rinse them out with?

* The caps have a black rubber looking "gasket" inside them. They look like they seal well. But I've heard about some gaskets for the Spectre gas cans and I don't know if these are them. What can you tell me about the gaskets I need and where can I get them?

This is what they look like only they're used...

AG_MFC04_L_1.jpg

Here's a link to the fuel storage option thread on SVTO:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?371-Fuel-Storage-Options&highlight=sceptre

AuPanda

Reaction score
FYI: I got the Sceptre cans today - thanks again Kaiser!

These things are even sturdier than I even imagined. I shouldn't be but I'm surprised at how durable these things are.

Couple of questions:

* I don't know what was in them before - perhaps it was diesel or gas or both or something else. Do I need to do anything to rinse/clean them out? If so, what do I do with whatever I rinse them out with?

* The caps have a black rubber looking "gasket" inside them. They look like they seal well. But I've heard about some gaskets for the Spectre gas cans and I don't know if these are them. What can you tell me about the gaskets I need and where can I get them?

This is what they look like only they're used...

AG_MFC04_L_1.jpg

Here's a link to the fuel storage option thread on SVTO:
http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?371-Fuel-Storage-Options&highlight=sceptre

Yellow strap is diesel and red strap is gasoline.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks - I got one with a yellow strap and one with no strap.

Thank J - I've done some Googling and see that others have made their own Viton gaskets (even found a drawing of the gasket), and other places that reportedly sell gaskets - I'm still looking.

Edit:

Scepter Military Fuel Gas Can MFC Cap WRENCH

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scepter-Militar...258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e61ee93e2
(Nice idea and product but $53.00 delivered is ridiculous)

Same guy is offering these:

Viton Gasket Retro Fix Scepter MFC Fuel Can Cap inner

http://cgi.ebay.com/Viton-Gasket-Re...ryZ36071QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(Not sure if this is the Viton gasket I need)

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure I would trust the straps on used cans to indicate the gasket material and/or what they were actually used for.

The gasket you linked too looks like a replacement deal for damaged compression rings. If yours are buggered, that looks like it would work. But more likely you'll just need ones like I linked to above.

They're not cheap, and it might be more cost effective to buy a sheet of the stuff and cut your own. But I have a feeling if you don't get the contours just right, they'll leak. Not sure. I just ordered 4 cans from the guy yesterday so I'll know more when they get here. And I'm sure Kaiser et al has a better handle on this stuff than I.