Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > Ford Raptor Classifieds Forum > Garage Sale
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Garage Sale

Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST

This is a discussion on Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST within the Garage Sale forums, part of the Ford Raptor Classifieds Forum category!

User Tag List

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Talbor View Post
Pricing:
If I order 12 at a time to save on shipping, the best price I can find for these online from a reliable source is $91.56 (including shipping). That comes out to $7.63 per ring. Iím rounding up to $9 to cover consumables (black high temp engine enamel paint, eventual replacement of my angle grinder wheel, 1 beer).
At 12 per order, and one beer per ring, that's a 12-pack per run...not a bad idea
Talbor likes this.

Skyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Skyfrog View Post
At 12 per order, and one beer per ring, that's a 12-pack per run...not a bad idea

Talbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

HAP
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I know what you are saying. When you torque the bolt down it does fit. It causes the ring to become a little tighter though, but it works.

R,
HAP

Originally Posted by Talbor View Post
Thereís still plenty of metal holding in the d-ring, but I canít accurately say what the de-rating is. In fact, I donít know what the rating of the d-ring is unmodified - itís not stated on any documentation or website that I can find. However, for comparison, these d-rings are rated for a 1,000lbs WLL with a break strength of 3,000lbs, and theyíre considerably smaller.

Not a bad idea on the liability side. Iíll print out a general release of liability letter and include it with the D-rings. I personally have no concern about these breaking before any straps that I use.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

It doesnít interfere with the OEM washer, but with the bed bolt itself - see the picture in the original post.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Default Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST
Originally Posted by HAP View Post
I know what you are saying. When you torque the bolt down it does fit. It causes the ring to become a little tighter though, but it works.

R,

HAP

Without grinding the material on the d-ring, part of the head of the bolt rests on the d-ring hinge and doesnít sit flush with the d-ring washer/base plate. So, the tensile stresses in the bolt are not evenly distributed on the bolt head, causing a localized stress point that wasnít part of the fastener selection criteria, which could cause premature failure with the cyclical loading these bolts will see.

Will it probably be fine? Yes. But I donít want to stress the bed bolts with loads they werenít expected to take - theyíre pretty critical bolts which experience enough stresses, especially if you off-road.

Itís a cheap / easy mod to not risk the potential of damaging the bed bolts with loads they were never intended to take. Itís your truck, so your call - to each his own is my motto.

Last edited by Talbor; 05-30-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Full Access Member

I'm in for 6. Can pick up in Houston this weekend. And if you haven't done the Forscan mods yet I can bring my laptop and adapter to help you
BBLV likes this.

Old 06-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Originally Posted by eclou View Post
I'm in for 6. Can pick up in Houston this weekend. And if you haven't done the Forscan mods yet I can bring my laptop and adapter to help you
Whatís forscan?
SVTLOPEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by eclou View Post

Iíll shoot you a PM. Wonít have them this weekend. I donít carry stock since Iím not making a profit, so I wait until I get a couple orders in to order some.

Appreciate the offer with forscan! I picked up a ODB 2 dongle and have been having fun with it myself, so Iím covered.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Full Access Member

(Thread Starter)
Update for all that have ordered thus far. I just received shipping notification that the d-rings will be here Tuesday. So Iíll have them shipped out by the end of next week to everyone via USPS priority.

I used mine again today to take some wheels to the tire shop to dismount the tires (selling some spare Gen 2 beadlock capable rims). I highly recommend those 2Ē straps I linked in the original post. Theyíre huge, well built from my experience thus far, and just kinda fun to use. My 2 cents.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by SVTLOPEZ View Post
Whatís forscan?
explanation here
Talbor likes this.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

aka Rick

Mentioned: 404 Post(s)

Default Bed Bolt D-Ring Tie Down Points AT COST
Couple things to note for GEN1, imagine its the same for GEN2
Use a T50 PLUS bit. A T50 bit is a tad too small and you will most likely strip the bed bolts.

Bed bolts are torque to 59lb-ft

http://sdhqoffroad.com/wp-content/up...RQUE-SPECS.pdf

2014 RR SE SCREW | #792 of #3396 in RR | #4568 of #22409 Total | My Mods: Click Here
2008 Shelby Mustang GT500 Torch Red Convertible | #58 of #463 in Torch Red | #249 of #2070 Total
Raptor Runs: TRR & Raptoberfest 14'/15'/16'/17'/18' | Time Attack 14' | Snoball 15'/18' | AR Run 15' | TRR Baja 16'/18' | Private Baja Jan 17'
RDFTS is offline   Reply With Quote