who has updated to SYNC3 VERSION 3.0 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinkrevolutionx

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been trying for two days now to get the SYNC update from the ford website. When using Chrome, Firefox, or internet explorer it just says it's not working and to contact them. Also, the download box is greyed out on the bottom. Basically it leaves off at the site saying its preparing my download and to check my email in a few minutes. No dice. Are there any mirrors to download the latest version?

SYNC®3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been trying for two days now to get the SYNC update from the ford website. When using Chrome, Firefox, or internet explorer it just says it's not working and to contact them. Also, the download box is greyed out on the bottom. Basically it leaves off at the site saying its preparing my download and to check my email in a few minutes. No dice. Are there any mirrors to download the latest version?

try a different vin I just tried and it shows 3.0 available for download on my end.. is yours with or without nav?

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

Just got the Sync 3 Map Update from Ford... So far so good:
b8a04406ec80563321062d12c2cef44b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just wait 70 minutes.. might look wonky at times

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a fairly recent build, 3.0 should be already installed. Mine was built on 5-28 and has it.

rhandel

Reaction score
Got Sync 3 - 3.0 installed

Observations, Trials, and Tribulations,

After reading all of the posts and trying my hand at the install, I have been successful. My upgrade was most of an hour to complete on a 2017 Raptor. I followed the Windows instructions and reformatted a 32Gb Thumb drive to extFAT, then extracted files in the TARball to the stick. When putting it into the Truck it took a while to recognize the USB drive but then started the upgrade. VERY little indication until the "done", reading files message and much later the Upgrade complete message followed. After several cycles of the engine the upgrade was complete and the XML file was written to the flash drive. I successfully uploaded that to owners.ford.com. So all is good.

Side information...
I went to the recent "Ford Technology" event at the local dealer (The dealer where I bought my Raptor). Learned a lot about Ford Sync and how it all works or doesn't work. I was fortunate enough to be part of a video interview of customers about what's working and what is not working to be shown to execs. It was a good experience. Especially for the Raptor/Sync and integration with Android. Sorry guys but iPhones are a little behind in integration. Waze full integration won't happen until later this year and they are trying to fix Carplay to work more seamlessly, AFAIK. I am a little plugged in to some of the tech, being in near Dearborn (home of Ford and the F150/Raptor).

All that said. When I was there, my dealer informed me that they do the upgrade of BOTH Sync 3.0 V3.0 and the MAPS for $50. I would have had them do it in a heartbeat had I known. But I will be having them do the MAPS at my next service interval.

Remember your mileage may vary but my dealer will do both for $50 and it takes them under 30 minutes to complete. They are connected directly to Ford. ;-)

Seven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember your mileage may vary but my dealer will do both for $50 and it takes them under 30 minutes to complete. They are connected directly to Ford. ;-)

I've never used the onboard nav maps, only Waze so even with that great price I'd probably say no.

I hope Ford fixes Sync3 soon but after my 9 months of ownership, I really doubt anything being fixed quickly.

Earlier in this thread I've posted the issues I had when plugging in my iphone, such has the radio stops playing each time Waze first starts, have to press a channel on the radio for it to start playing again. etc. I noticed another nagging issue during the summertime, the air conditioning spools down I believe each time waze talks to me or recomputes a route. It doesn't happen often but it does happen consistently. :(

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my maintenance service done on Friday on my 2017 Raptor. While it was in for that, I asked that they take care of the recall (the one revolving around the doors in winter) and they update my SYNC3. I had SYNC version 2.0 yet. My Wi-Fi updater had not been working as others have commented. Everything was done by 3 in the afternoon and no issues yet with anything. I'm now on version 3.0. My Ford dealer didn't charge me for anything, including updating the SYNC.

rhandel

Reaction score
I've never used the onboard nav maps, only Waze so even with that great price I'd probably say no.

I hope Ford fixes Sync3 soon but after my 9 months of ownership, I really doubt anything being fixed quickly.

Earlier in this thread I've posted the issues I had when plugging in my iphone, such has the radio stops playing each time Waze first starts, have to press a channel on the radio for it to start playing again. etc. I noticed another nagging issue during the summertime, the air conditioning spools down I believe each time waze talks to me or recomputes a route. It doesn't happen often but it does happen consistently. :(

Remember when your cell service drops out you get issues like the ones you explained. That may be a cell problem not a SYNC 3 V3.0 problem.

As to upgrading maps it's REALLY handy to have the NAV system up to date in cities like Chicago, (dodgy cell service) and rural areas where cell service for DATA is limited, missing, or spotty. WAZE only works when you have cell service. Same issues for Android Auto, Ford Alexa, and other services that are TIED to cell towers and CELL Data.

Again, Consolations Apple iOS users. Until Apple upgrades iOS and there are some other Ford changes, Apple is gonna be behind doing stuff with SYNC 3 V3.x

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

RAH