USB ports - am I missing something?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Playing around with CarPlay and sync 3 and looking around the only 3 USB ports I see to add a phone is inside the slide cover where it says "Sync"? Gen 1 I ran the cord from center console out through but here I have to Lee the cover open and a short cord I guess? Looked everywhere else but the rear seat is charge only.

TheTip247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Playing around with CarPlay and sync 3 and looking around the only 3 USB ports I see to add a phone is inside the slide cover where it says "Sync"? Gen 1 I ran the cord from center console out through but here I have to Lee the cover open and a short cord I guess? Looked everywhere else but the rear seat is charge only.

Just curious as to what are you wanting to accomplish with hooking the phone up? Is it just for music? If that's it, just play music via Bluetooth.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what are you wanting to accomplish with hooking the phone up? Is it just for music? If that's it, just play music via Bluetooth.

I'm thinking the same thing. I put an iPod in the small compartment upfront and I only plug my phone in to charge it, but I use the 110 volt plug for that...it charges quicker. Use the bluetooth for the music when needed....just my .02

OP
OP
W

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I charge it, and use for music. I have high res files stored on phone and it sounds better than Bluetooth. Not much but. By the way, you may notice music over Bluetooth or wired is much much better sounding than radio or Sirius. Like a different system. It does have a hallowness to it regardless though. An improvement over gen 1 no doubt.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 8 usb charging parts in my truck as well as a usb hub for all my music since i keep everything in wav format. which still leaves me my 2 usb ports in the center console. im pretty sure the gen 2 can be configured the same way but havent had a truck to play with yet.

yes 8 usb charging ports. and yes they all get used. they are dual 2.1 amp ports. one in each corner wife has tablet and phone, both kids have tablet and phones. i have phone and flashlight.

TheTip247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phone music is much quieter though

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

I know it sounds stupid but do you have the volume for music on your phone turned up all the way? It does make a difference. You can control the volume with your phone and with the radio

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know it sounds stupid but do you have the volume for music on your phone turned up all the way? It does make a difference. You can control the volume with your phone and with the radio

Yes it is. Even with the volume all the way up on my phone, music through bluetooth or usb is significantly quieter. It has been like this on all 3 of my Ford vehicles.

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Even with the volume all the way up on my phone, music through bluetooth or usb is significantly quieter. It has been like this on all 3 of my Ford vehicles.

Mine sounds the same usb or Bluetooth. In your case it could be low quality music files, 192 bit rate will sound like shit with my system, i have to use 320 or it will bug me. Have you had the same phone for your last 3 vehicles?