USB Port Charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked my manual, done internet searches and did a search here and cant locate an answer to my question which is.......

When the truck is off and I have a USB cable plugged into one of the ports in front of the console, and I leave my iPod plugged in, is it charging all the time thus a slight battery drain?

I have tried to test it but I believe as soon as the door it opened it activates charging. Also, I "think" it may continue to charge for some amount of time when the ignition is turned off. All assumptions on my part.

Anyone know the answer? I prefer to leave my iPod plugged.

Thx

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked my manual, done internet searches and did a search here and cant locate an answer to my question which is.......

When the truck is off and I have a USB cable plugged into one of the ports in front of the console, and I leave my iPod plugged in, is it charging all the time thus a slight battery drain?

I have tried to test it but I believe as soon as the door it opened it activates charging. Also, I "think" it may continue to charge for some amount of time when the ignition is turned off. All assumptions on my part.

Anyone know the answer? I prefer to leave my iPod plugged.

Thx

Most definitely on a timer when you shut down, and it does power back up when you open the door. No continuous charge after timer shuts off. If you want continuous charge (overnight) you need to plug into the outlet inside the center console.

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most definitely on a timer when you shut down, and it does power back up when you open the door. No continuous charge after timer shuts off. If you want continuous charge (overnight) you need to plug into the outlet inside the center console.

By outlet inside the console I assume you mean the 12 volt outlet there? I do not have USB ports inside the console; only the 2 in the front of the console and the ones in the rear seat area. I have the tech package and 802A package so I assume I am not missing some option?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By outlet inside the console I assume you mean the 12 volt outlet there? I do not have USB ports inside the console; only the 2 in the front of the console and the ones in the rear seat area. I have the tech package and 802A package so I assume I am not missing some option?

Nope, you need to get a USB adaptor for the outlet. Thats what I did, charge my iPad in there...and wireless headphones for gym.