GEN 2 Upgrading Speakers & Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you need to get the signal after the factory amp. that way the oem features are still active. a sound processor is always the best option, but you can use hi/low converters. you just wont get the cleanest signal. theres a lot you can do the the oem system and retain all the features it came with

thorleif

Reaction score
I'm starting with JL stealth box 13TW5v2 with xd600v2 amp mids and highs tbd after I hear them.

Currently have the W7 with original xd600 in 4runner and it sounds pretty good. Went to a local shop and listened to a TW3 and it was surprisingly nice so the TW5 should be great [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you like this? local shop suggested starting with stealthbox and deciding if that's enough and just bearing with the Sony speakers.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrading Speakers & Subwoofer

How did you like this? local shop suggested starting with stealthbox and deciding if that's enough and just bearing with the Sony speakers.

I've got the stealth box installed now. It sounds great and fits nicely. I'm still breaking it in and will retune in a week or so as they say it will be mich louder after break in. I had the XD600v2 remote bass knob installed in the Sync drawer near the USB plugs. They didn't install any signal processor or anything and removed the stock sub. The stock Sony speaker sound fine for now to me. I'm sure a nice set of focals to replace them will sound amazing but I don't want to fork out the cash for those at the moment.

I do notice a bit more cab noise now that the stock sub enclosure was removed so I'll probably put some insulation there in its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohiodish

Reaction score
you need to get the signal after the factory amp. that way the oem features are still active. a sound processor is always the best option, but you can use hi/low converters. you just wont get the cleanest signal. theres a lot you can do the the oem system and retain all the features it came with
I was considering the PAC AP4FD21 amp interface with the optional Fiber-Optic module to go into a digital DSP. The OEM features will not be available with the PAC unit?

New Pac Audio AP4-FD21 Audio Interface F-150 F-250 350 Explorer Focus Expedition | eBay

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering the PAC AP4FD21 amp interface with the optional Fiber-Optic module to go into a digital DSP. The OEM features will not be available with the PAC unit?

New Pac Audio AP4-FD21 Audio Interface F-150 F-250 350 Explorer Focus Expedition | eBay
i have not used one yet, but it appears they found a way to retain data before the oem amp. might be worth a look. but i want to see how it functions and if it does everything they say before i start recommending something

Ohiodish

Reaction score
i have not used one yet, but it appears they found a way to retain data before the OEM amp. Might be worth a look. but i want to see how it functions and if it does everything they say before i start recommending something
I have integrated 2 previous vehicles and did not care for either results. A 2007 Tundra I used a JBL MS8 after the amp and never got it how I wanted. I went active with the crossover and it was not good, did not matter how I tried it was just awful. So went passive and it was better but nowhere near what I was expecting. I ended up pulling the MS8 and cutting a Alpine HU in bellow the OEM radio.
Also had a 2012 Wrangler I used a PAC module after the radio and that unit did not allow any OEM adjustment and I never bought an EQ to make adjustments so I really did not like that either. This will be the first time I have used Optic out; always analog in the past so I'm a little unsure. I need to find a DSP and there are several with Optic in, but I have no experience tuning them. Not sure if there is a user friendly DSP for the DIY? I'm OK paying a shop for the tune if I can't do it. Researching five different DSP's now.

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have integrated 2 previous vehicles and did not care for either results. A 2007 Tundra I used a JBL MS8 after the amp and never got it how I wanted. I went active with the crossover and it was not good, did not matter how I tried it was just awful. So went passive and it was better but nowhere near what I was expecting. I ended up pulling the MS8 and cutting a Alpine HU in bellow the OEM radio.
Also had a 2012 Wrangler I used a PAC module after the radio and that unit did not allow any OEM adjustment and I never bought an EQ to make adjustments so I really did not like that either. This will be the first time I have used Optic out; always analog in the past so I'm a little unsure. I need to find a DSP and there are several with Optic in, but I have no experience tuning them. Not sure if there is a user friendly DSP for the DIY? I'm OK paying a shop for the tune if I can't do it. Researching five different DSP's now.
text me. (831) 254-7562 too much to type right now. i can help you figure it all out. the ms8 is not the processor of choice for me though

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We got the PAC interface that recently came out and yes it gathers data before the amp. No more static or hissing and more channels apparently. Sounds great with FOCAL fronts and rear and a couple amps (1 for subs) and 2 10" subs (might be 12", I forgot). We got rid of the JL piece since no longer needed and PAC seems better.

sher-bant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a top audio shop in/around Chicago's NW side?

I'm looking for someplace I can trust to help me choose AND install a killer system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter