GEN 2 Upgrading Speakers & Subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont want to put a sub on the floor, have you seen how much room for activities there are with the seats folded up?

Did some looking on a F150 forum, found a dude named jbarron74, he built a box for his 2015 F150, He took the stock subwoofer wires and ran it to a alpine amp that has high level inputs so he didn't need RCAs. He went on to say that he had to turn the gain down to about 25% on the amp..

ufn0i7g.png

JzkWXTh.png

EZufRYt.png

Last edited:

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really dont want to put a sub on the floor, have you seen how much room for activities there are with the seats folded up?

Did some looking on a F150 forum, found a dude named jbarron74, he built a box for his 2015 F150, He took the stock subwoofer wires and ran it to a alpine amp that has high level inputs so he didn't need RCAs. He went on to say that he had to turn the gain down to about 25% on the amp..

ufn0i7g.png

JzkWXTh.png

EZufRYt.png

Nice! I was going for more of a solved easy solution rather than have someone design/build a custom box for me. If you get that working for ya that would be great to save the floor space!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ufn0i7g.png

JzkWXTh.png

EZufRYt.png

WOW!! That is just amazing....I'd like to do an upgrade to mine using the factory heading...if that's possible. I just have no idea where to start....i.e. what speakers? Do they all need to match? What amps etc...
Your setup looks insane...I can only imagine what it sounds like!

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here was my box and amp install from this week..nothing crazy but does the trick

Attachments

• 20170126_093159.jpg
    20170126_093159.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20170126_093449.jpg
    20170126_093449.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 147

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought this Kicker 8" shallow mount sub before I bought the truck. There is a guy on one of the F150 forums that modified the factory box to get it to fit. I really hate to get in there with a torch and start playing around but I guess I might have to just to give it a try. Anyone think this Kicker 43CWRT81 sub would sound good with just the factory Sony amp?

IMG_1785_zpspzxroxna.jpg

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this Kicker 8" shallow mount sub before I bought the truck. There is a guy on one of the F150 forums that modified the factory box to get it to fit. I really hate to get in there with a torch and start playing around but I guess I might have to just to give it a try. Anyone think this Kicker 43CWRT81 sub would sound good with just the factory Sony amp?

IMG_1785_zpspzxroxna.jpg

Keep us updated.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a ledge on the bottom part of the factory box that keeps the subwoofer from sitting in the box. Also, the bolt hole extrusion probably keeps it from sitting flush as well. I have seen other forums where members took a propane torch and melted the ledge down and taped over the bolt hole and sprayed with flex seal. I would much rather take it out and make a fiberglass mold or something similar but not sure I am quite that knowledgeable about the process or motivated to learn. Here is a better pic of the ledge in question.

IMG_1783_zpsz6jik8bp.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
How tight is the fit behind the seat? Possible to space out the sub with a spacer ring?

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How tight is the fit behind the seat? Possible to space out the sub with a spacer ring?

It gets pretty tight when you raise the seat bottom up. The whole point of doing a behind the seat box is to keep the floor open for cargo. I really think a fiberglass box that sits flush against the back wall is the ticket. Also, I am one of those kind of guys that doesn't want to go cutting up all of the carpet on the back wall. I really want to keep everything pretty close to factory or at least be able to return it to factory.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It gets pretty tight when you raise the seat bottom up. The whole point of doing a behind the seat box is to keep the floor open for cargo. I really think a fiberglass box that sits flush against the back wall is the ticket. Also, I am one of those kind of guys that doesn't want to go cutting up all of the carpet on the back wall. I really want to keep everything pretty close to factory or at least be able to return it to factory.

+1
I’d definitely like a little more bass punch, but I don’t want to give up a bunch of space, or any right now actually :)