Upfitter Switches and Electronics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m already using them for BD lights, and I always activate them after starting and rolling down the road or trail.

My 2018 has six switches, and that is more than I will ever need for lights.

I’m thinking about wiring my radar detector and dash cam to a switch and was wondering if there are any issues leaving the switch activated 95%+ of the time.

What I would like to know is if there is a voltage drop that could damage sensitive electronics when starting the vehicle with a switch activated. I would like to just leave the switch flipped and jump in and start my truck every day and not frying something electronic.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m already using them for BD lights, and I always activate them after starting and rolling down the road or trail.

My 2018 has six switches, and that is more than I will ever need for lights.

I’m thinking about wiring my radar detector and dash cam to a switch and was wondering if there are any issues leaving the switch activated 95%+ of the time.

What I would like to know is if there is a voltage drop that could damage sensitive electronics when starting the vehicle with a switch activated. I would like to just leave the switch flipped and jump in and start my truck every day and not frying something electronic.

Check the voltage range for your electronics. My radio is 9 to 14.6 volts approximate so voltage drop from ignition is no big deal and I tend to leave it on.

The issue with leaving the switches on is the annoying light. A small piece of electrical tape fixed mine.

Measure the drop after the switch when starting the truck. OHMS LAW
Volts X watts=amps so a 40 watt radio at 13.8 volts would be 552 amps so a 5 amp circuit is what you want to get. How ever a standard radio out put is 5 watts which means it would need 10 watts input since it is 50 percent efficient by design it would need 138 amps. Use the corresponding upfitter switch. Most radios if run on low voltage will perform bad or possibly burn them up.You will have to check on your specific equipment. Also you can go the other way volts X Amps= Watts.

What you may prefer would be to use an Add a Circuit and tap into a fuse in the fuse box like the occupancy sensor (Gen 1 Fuse 46 inside the cab) so that it turns on when you start the truck. It will not be on with the keys in the ignition or with the keys in the accessory position.

Good luck!

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upfitter works GREAT for radar detectors. You don't have to keep reaching for that tiny knob and jacking up your settings. Flip on, flip off.

I was going to do the same for a dash cam but changed my mind - Most dash cams want both a constant power and a switched power for keeping an eye on your vehicle when it's parked. It's just as easy to hard wire it or use mirror taps.