Sync3 / Android / Bluetooth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorleif

Reaction score
I'm having quite the struggle maintaining consistent bluetooth connection with my PixelXL. It's quite annoying because I'd rather not struggle with settings/connections every time I'm making a short trip across town.

My phone's bluetooth settings show a connection to Ford Raptor, though sometimes it will say "no media". If I go to Sync Sources->bluetooth, sometimes it will tell me no device is connected. I choose connect media and select my phone and sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it will connect briefly / start streaming Spotify, only to quickly switch back to my previous source.

I've had some success by cycling bluetooth on the phone, but by this point I'm frustrated enough to give up if that doesn't work.

The thing I do notice when I do get it running successfully is it shows "PixelXL" specifically in the sources, and I have two "permanent" notifications in my tray. One telling me the FordPass app is connected, and another that shows SmartDeviceLink connected (image below)

I wonder if there isn't some fight between the Android OS and something within the FordPass app that is causing issues.

Anyone have any insight on this, possibly a step by step to iron out any settings that will allow this to work consistently?

40b0d8b40dd7eb9846f9a7b190a5f3bf.png

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and have zero issues. Car companies are geared to make their systems work better with iOS than android os because it reaches a larger crowd. I know this doesn't help your situation but maybe think about getting an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an iPhone and have zero issues. Car companies are geared to make their systems work better with iOS than android os because it reaches a larger crowd. I know this doesn't help your situation but maybe think about getting an iPhone.

That's just ridiculous. Android outnumbers IPhone 3 to 1.

-2016-There-are-3-Android-users-for-every-iOS-user.png

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

I'm having quite the struggle maintaining consistent bluetooth connection with my PixelXL. It's quite annoying because I'd rather not struggle with settings/connections every time I'm making a short trip across town.

My phone's bluetooth settings show a connection to Ford Raptor, though sometimes it will say "no media". If I go to Sync Sources->bluetooth, sometimes it will tell me no device is connected. I choose connect media and select my phone and sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it will connect briefly / start streaming Spotify, only to quickly switch back to my previous source.

I've had some success by cycling bluetooth on the phone, but by this point I'm frustrated enough to give up if that doesn't work.

The thing I do notice when I do get it running successfully is it shows "PixelXL" specifically in the sources, and I have two "permanent" notifications in my tray. One telling me the FordPass app is connected, and another that shows SmartDeviceLink connected (image below)

I wonder if there isn't some fight between the Android OS and something within the FordPass app that is causing issues.

Anyone have any insight on this, possibly a step by step to iron out any settings that will allow this to work consistently?

40b0d8b40dd7eb9846f9a7b190a5f3bf.png
Try adding the truck as a trusted device.

How to use Trusted Devices in Android | Android Central

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
So what does "reaches a larger crowd" mean then?

They've done the research to warrant that there's more iOS users using the technology than androids. Why else would every major car company take the time and money to invest in making Apple car play work in their new model vehicles. They wouldn't do it if it was the minority.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've done the research to warrant that there's more iOS users using the technology than androids. Why else would every major car company take the time and money to invest in making Apple car play work in their new model vehicles. They wouldn't do it if it was the minority.

Using what technology? Bluetooth? Because that is the question the OP was asking about. Bluetooth is a standard that is universal between all smartphones. As far as Apple Carplay vs Android Auto, or any other app for that matter, I'd love to see any documentation that show more Apple users than Android users. Considering both are available in the Raptor and I'm not aware of any vehicle that has one but not the other, I'm not sure you can say that one has more users than the other. The fact that there are more Android users that iPhone users, if anything, would indicate that there are probably more Android Auto users than Apple Car play users.

I'm not trying to get into an Apple vs Android battle here, but I can use my Samsung pay anywhere. How many places don't take Apple pay? Just saying. Also, suggesting the OP get an iPhone to fix a Bluetooth issue is ridiculous.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
Using what technology? Bluetooth? Because that is the question the OP was asking about. Bluetooth is a standard that is universal between all smartphones. As far as Apple Carplay vs Android Auto, or any other app for that matter, I'd love to see any documentation that show more Apple users than Android users. Considering both are available in the Raptor and I'm not aware of any vehicle that has one but not the other, I'm not sure you can say that one has more users than the other. The fact that there are more Android users that iPhone users, if anything, would indicate that there are probably more Android Auto users than Apple Car play users.

I'm not trying to get into an Apple vs Android battle here, but I can use my Samsung pay anywhere. How many places don't take Apple pay? Just saying. Also, suggesting the OP get an iPhone to fix a Bluetooth issue is ridiculous.

And I'm not either. Point I'm making is there's numerous threads of people having issues with their android and the truck. Simple fix get an iPhone. Like I said I admitted to having no valuable fix just an opinion of what works for me.

OP
OP
T

thorleif

Reaction score

I actually carry two phones with my other one being my iPhone 6s.

I have a couple of reasons to prefer android for this purpose.

Sometimes you just want things to work your way, y'know?

That's just ridiculous. Android outnumbers IPhone 3 to 1.

-2016-There-are-3-Android-users-for-every-iOS-user.png

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Try adding the truck as a trusted device.

How to use Trusted Devices in Android | Android Central

Yeah I just double checked, it is in my trusted devices. This is another setting I've played with hoping for resolution.

Android Auto: now available in every car

IMO the operation of Android Auto is superior to Car Play. However both of these are utility apps for phones connected via USB.

I'm troubleshooting a bluetooth issue.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I actually carry two phones with my other one being my iPhone 6s.

I have a couple of reasons to prefer android for this purpose.

Sometimes you just want things to work your way, y'know?

Yeah I just double checked, it is in my trusted devices. This is another setting I've played with hoping for resolution.

Android Auto: now available in every car

IMO the operation of Android Auto is superior to Car Play. However both of these are utility apps for phones connected via USB.

I'm troubleshooting a bluetooth issue.

My fault for reading the thread to fast OP [emoji1303]. Hope you get it fixed.