Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2]

SYNC Connect (WiFi Hotspot) on 2018s???

This is a discussion on SYNC Connect (WiFi Hotspot) on 2018s??? within the Ford Raptor Audio/Video/Electronics Forum [GEN 2] forums, part of the GEN 2 (2017+) Ford F-150 Raptor Forums category!
Finally picked up my 2018 Raptor today and am confused as to whether the 18's have the SYNC Connect feature ...

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default SYNC Connect (WiFi Hotspot) on 2018s???
Finally picked up my 2018 Raptor today and am confused as to whether the 18's have the SYNC Connect feature that can provide a Wifi hotspot. The person who was giving me the tour of the vehicle's features today swore that the 18s now have this feature ($20/month after a free trial period) but she said this was the very first 18 she's actually seen so she couldn't figure out how to operate it. I did find the wifi settings in the menu of settings and it says it has an embedded modem but it only seems to allow the car to connect to external wifi networks. I don't see where the car itself is providing a wifi network itself. Anybody know what the real story is? Love the truck either way, but the wifi hotspot would be a nice value add for the family.

JayZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default SYNC Connect
Have been trying to research this myself. I found the following video today of an '18 802A where the Salesman does a walkthrough and states the truck did not have it. Fast forward to the 3:30 mark. Big assumption that he is correct, but you don't see anything on the screen for it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shDwu0TTZQg

Would this maybe explain why the Raptor's do not have the shark fin antenna that you see on the Build & Price or other higher-end F150's?

Last edited by SunnDogg; 08-16-2017 at 10:57 PM.
SunnDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

I picked my new 18 up on Saturday. The info out there is very misleading. From what I can tell it only has where you can connect to wifi for updates to Sync 3, but does NOT provide a hot spot
h2tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default No wifi
Picked up my '18 last week and can confirm NO At&t WIFI. This was confirmed by Ford's technology department.
rmarquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I don't understand the need for wifi built into the truck. Just use your phone as a hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOAKINRED and Messiah62 like this.
kdub405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
zmw

Originally Posted by kdub405 View Post
I don't understand the need for wifi built into the truck. Just use your phone as a hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You must not have kids that play minecraft during road trips ;)
T-Kelley, mmacfn and grumble like this.
zmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

There isn't a need for it, but I feel like it should've been included along with the stop/go acc and the adjustable ambient settings. Not sure why they didn't include/cancel those features for the 2018 model. Doesn't really matter to me regardless.
JayZee likes this.

Last edited by Drew0325; 09-13-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Drew0325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

Really doesn't make sense when it comes to things like that why they want to have two different sets of parts on the production line.

My guess is that the Ford Performance team is too busy to think about it and they won't let anyone else at Ford mess with the truck without their approval.

At least we got some nicer speakers.
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Got to wonder if some of these things on the F150 are available in the raptor in the software and a change in the right place would enable them....

The truck obviously has a cellular connection, since thats how the remote start (via the app) works.

--John
johndjmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Banana Want HotSpot!!
2018 Raptors with the 802a package have all the Synch 3 features except ambient lighting and the Synch Connect hotspot. Since all the other synch and synch connect features are included (remote start and lock/unlock) it seems like adding the hotspot feature should simply be a software update. Or, at most, a modem changeout would be needed. I called Ford and got the typical run-around that it cannot be done. But that answer is because the person on the phone didn't have a clue. I realize there are lots of other ways to get Wifi in the vehicle, but you really can't beat the $20/month price for unlimited data that Ford negotiated with AT&T - that makes the feature worth getting. Other options like Verizon's MiFi, can't match the price, and using your phone as a hotspot doesn't typically have the reliability and speed of a dedicated vehicle connection.

Let's keep this thread going until we find out the facts on how the hotspot feature can be added to 2018 Raptors!
ogdobber likes this.
back2u is offline   Reply With Quote