Sync 3 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2017 black ford raptor with 8000 miles and a may 2017 build date three weeks ago. Love the truck so far.

The question I have is in regards to the sync 3 system. My system has not been updated since June 2017. So as I am sitting in my driveway within Wi-Fi range trying to update the system, after 45 minutes the computer says to try again later. I think I have the 2.3 version of sync 3 in my raptor. My question is how long does it take to update the system and was there another update after 2.3 version. I actually have my first service Monday morning at 7:00 am and have asked the dealership if they can update the system.

The other question I have is when I plug my Apple phone into the truck via USB, the truck does allow me to use Apple car play fine, but the apps. Icon will not let me in saying I need to be plugged in via USB, which I am. Just wondering if anybody else experienced this.

Lastly, can you receive text messages while driving, either thru Siri and Apple car play, and or the sync 3 system and can you respond to them. And I have been told that the gen 2 raptors can not be equipped with the at&t plan to make the truck a lte or Wi-Fi hot spot like you can with a platinum, king ranch, limited, or expedition. Is this true ?

Sorry for so many questions it is my first time with a ford sync 3 system.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2017 black ford raptor with 8000 miles and a may 2017 build date three weeks ago. Love the truck so far.

The question I have is in regards to the sync 3 system. My system has not been updated since June 2017. So as I am sitting in my driveway within Wi-Fi range trying to update the system, after 45 minutes the computer says to try again later. I think I have the 2.3 version of sync 3 in my raptor. My question is how long does it take to update the system and was there another update after 2.3 version. I actually have my first service Monday morning at 7:00 am and have asked the dealership if they can update the system.

The other question I have is when I plug my Apple phone into the truck via USB, the truck does allow me to use Apple car play fine, but the apps. Icon will not let me in saying I need to be plugged in via USB, which I am. Just wondering if anybody else experienced this.

Lastly, can you receive text messages while driving, either thru Siri and Apple car play, and or the sync 3 system and can you respond to them. And I have been told that the gen 2 raptors can not be equipped with the at&t plan to make the truck a lte or Wi-Fi hot spot like you can with a platinum, king ranch, limited, or expedition. Is this true ?

There’s another sync3 long running thread, about updating to 3.0. Lots of us did the USB upgrade. I thought I read somewhere here that a user did get an over the air update, but mine never did.

I don’t have a lot of car play experience.

Text messaging is doable, you can use the bluetooth / voice / screen prompts. NOTE: just because your phone bluetooth syncs when you start, doesn’t mean text messaging works. navigate to the phone screen / text. if it says connected you’re good. Lucille rejects text message syncing at startup about 50% of the time. just do the retry and go forward.

I generally don’t text while driving but I like to get them because I’m subbed to local news station traffic alerts by sms.

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sync 3 current version is at software version 2.3 right now - you're up to date as far as "released" software goes.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s another sync3 long running thread, about updating to 3.0. Lots of us did the USB upgrade. I thought I read somewhere here that a user did get an over the air update, but mine never did.

I don’t have a lot of car play experience.

Text messaging is doable, you can use the bluetooth / voice / screen prompts. NOTE: just because your phone bluetooth syncs when you start, doesn’t mean text messaging works. navigate to the phone screen / text. if it says connected you’re good. Lucille rejects text message syncing at startup about 50% of the time. just do the retry and go forward.

I generally don’t text while driving but I like to get them because I’m subbed to local news station traffic alerts by sms.

Thank for the info.

How do you get the updates via usb ? I did plug my I phone seven plus in and I didn’t see that option.

OP
OP
M

ME120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sync 3 current version is at software version 2.3 right now - you're up to date as far as "released" software goes.

Thank you for letting me know that. I thought there was another update to the sync 3.

MurMech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I downloaded the files from the ford website onto a usb and installed it, the wifi option seems slow and takes forever, after 45 minutes I stopped it.

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to put the stick back into the computer after installing the update in your truck. That's how Ford keeps up to date with the version your running. It will let you know when it has the new update on file with them.