Sync 3 Lost Radio Audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fso119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short:
Sync 3 v2.3 radio isn't properly working even after Master Reset, fuse pull, and battery disconnect.

The Long Story:
Last week, I jumped in my truck while it was warming up after autostart and pressed the Start/Stop button as normal to drive off. The Raptor welcome screen stayed on for a while then went blank and there was no audio. I stopped the truck and turned it off and on again and still had same issue, a blank MFT screen. I drove to work in silence and having no idea how warm the truck was since I couldn't see anything on the display.

When I left the truck the display still stayed 'on' even though it was blank. (you can see the back light lamp on) A little later, I came back out to pull a fuse but it turned itself off already. I turned the vehicle on and everything started normal but I noticed that there was still no radio sound. All other functions(map, temp, sat radio, bluetooth audio, calls, etc) seemed to be working properly.

I did a Master Reset with no luck. By chance, I pressed and held one of my presets until it saved. The preset started playing audio! I then checked another preset to see if it is started working again but it went silent again and going back to the previous preset was also silent. Also, none of the HD info(station/song listing) displays

I pulled the fuse and disconnected the negative from the battery but it didn't fix with either one.

I've seen in other threads that there is an unsourced v3.0 out there but I do not trust it if it doesn't come from the Ford server.

I have an appointment with dealership to fix. they think it's a hardware issue. I think it's a software issue (maybe a file got corrupted during startup?) since press and holding the preset button works somewhat.

Raptor had Wifi enabled and scheduled start through FordPass.

Anyone run into this, yet?

[UPDATE] Took it into dealer last week. Getting a new audio control unit because there were a few faults that couldn't be cleared up. Woohoo, I get to re-program everything again.

Last edited:

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, I would not mess with it, especially loading a unverified sync update. Sounds like the head unit might be f'd, let the dealer screw with it. They will likely replace it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I had this happened to me once, apparently transient. Heading back from the range and got a blank screen after the splash screen. I played with the buttons a bit, shut down, then got fed up and went home.

When I got home, after powering down, I powered back up, same deal.

Next day, everything was fine. By this, I mean that all my presets were still good, everything else worked as expected.

That seems like a software bug to me too but what you describe - a permanent effect on the radio presets... I don’t know.

I never went as far as the master reset.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Sync 3 v3.0 is published by ford for download. I’ve been running it for over a month now with no issues.

OP
OP
fso119

fso119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Sync 3 v3.0 is published by ford for download. I’ve been running it for over a month now with no issues.

My Ford Owner site is still showing I'm up-to-date on version 2.3! I did go ahead and download the firmware that's been floating around here and installed it as a last ditch effort since the whole module is getting replaced anyways. It didn't fix the issue so it truly is a hardware fault.

On another note, I've noticed that radio playback is starting to show the HD radio info sometimes but not always working properly with the new firmware update and the faulty ACM.