Sony premium sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have an 8" Kicker sub that should fit into the Sony subwoofer box with a few modifications. I am going to try it first with the factory Sony amp and if it doesn't seem like enough, I will add an amplifier. I think one of the biggest hurdles is going to be the auto start-stop technology and the amp turn on lead. I've read reports that aftermarket amps are getting cut off b/c of the start-stop technology.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the realities of upgrading the speakers, amps etc?

I know doing the head unit, being as integrated as they, is going to be very hard.

What are the experiences with previous models etc?

you can do quite a bit with the oem system. the only thing that needs to remain is the head unit and factory amp (for nav voice) everything else can be replaced. we had done several sq systems with the sync system.

I already have an 8" Kicker sub that should fit into the Sony subwoofer box with a few modifications. I am going to try it first with the factory Sony amp and if it doesn't seem like enough, I will add an amplifier. I think one of the biggest hurdles is going to be the auto start-stop technology and the amp turn on lead. I've read reports that aftermarket amps are getting cut off b/c of the start-stop technology.

there is always an accessory and an ignition in the vehicle. get the right wires and you wont have a problem

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do quite a bit with the oem system. the only thing that needs to remain is the head unit and factory amp (for nav voice) everything else can be replaced. we had done several sq systems with the sync system.

there is always an accessory and an ignition in the vehicle. get the right wires and you wont have a problem

Someone with user name Car Stereo Company - do you have a lot of experience with the 2015 and newer trucks? I'm excited about having the subwoofer behind the seat vs under the seat.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone with user name Car Stereo Company - do you have a lot of experience with the 2015 and newer trucks? I'm excited about having the subwoofer behind the seat vs under the seat.
not yet. i havent made a fiberglass mold for the new trucks yet, however it wont be too long before i have an oem replacement option

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we clarified that the 802a sony sub will be tucked away behind the seat as shown in the picture of the kicker sub? There is word the kicker is not a part of the 802a, and the only picture of subs shown is the kicker in the tucked away style behind the seat.

Audio Noob, I thought the gen1 system was good lol Well aside form sub location, my stereo needs include drowning out exhaust tire noise ha

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have we clarified that the 802a sony sub will be tucked away behind the seat as shown in the picture of the kicker sub? There is word the kicker is not a part of the 802a, and the only picture of subs shown is the kicker in the tucked away style behind the seat.

Audio Noob, I thought the gen1 system was good lol Well aside form sub location, my stereo needs include drowning out exhaust tire noise ha

They have been putting Sony systems in the 2015 F150 since it started production - As far as I know, it has been behind the seat for the entire production of this gen F150. I don't see any reason why they would change anything for 2017 vs 2015-2016.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
My new Super Duty has the Sony system in it. I wasn't looking for it because of how bad the last ones were but this is much better than the Gen 1 Raptor systems, not that it was difficult to make them better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flea176

Reaction score
What are the realities of upgrading the speakers, amps etc?

I know doing the head unit, being as integrated as they, is going to be very hard.

What are the experiences with previous models etc?

I posted this in another thread but, I was used to my JL Audio system in my charger. (Had to get a JL audio clean sweep due to everything being integrated) When I got the 2013 fx4 with the Sony sound , I was over spending thousands on sound , so I used my sub amp and got two JL compact subs. I had my local audio place put those in to replace the factory sub. They fit decently under the back seats. I am really happy with it. The Sony system definitely doesn't have the power or volume that my JL set up did but to me, it just wasn't worth the money To change it all out... Once my Raptor comes (if ever....right?) I plan on transplanting the subs to that.

Kansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it's on par with the Bose system in my GMC Sierra... really impressed with that system... its perfect for my needs. *fingers crossed*