Radio Unresponsive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry Jeffords

Reaction score
2018 Raptor with 445 miles. First time this has happened with this vehicle although I had it happen with my 2016 Explorer a few times. Started the truck manually, drove 5 miles or so. I shut off the truck. The passenger got out. I stayed in. Was playing music from a thumb drive in the USB port. Used the "next" button on the steering wheel multiple times and all was well then the button became unresponsive. "Next" button on the radio also unresponsive. Current song was still playing. Volume worked normally. "Next" and "previous" buttons were unresponsive. Power button was unresponsive. "Media" button worked as I could cycle through AM, FM, Sirius and back to my thumb drive. Started the vehicle manually and went to my next stop which was less than a mile. Still not working other than the volume control. Shut off the vehicle and we both got out. 15 minutes or so in the store then manually started the vehicle and all was normal. Frustrating but relieved to know that it is not unique to the new truck.

Anyone else experience this or have an explanation?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
similar, but not equal.

I left a range qual. session, fired put the truck and noticed the nav. screen was blank. strange. I tried cycling presets, pressing multiple buttons, all unresponsive. no radio, no satellite, no nav, nothing on the screen at all. I turned the truck off, then on again, still nothing.

I figured I broke it somehow and drove home to the glorious audio soundtrack that is the 3.5TT.

ride home is ~45 minutes. I shut down. on a bet, before I go in, I power up the truck - nada.

come out the next day, fire it up - it works. has not happened again since.

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2018 802a did the exact same thing as yours a couple of weeks ago Smurfslayer. I stopped at a store for about 10 minutes and when I came back out and started it, the nav screen was completely black; the radio wouldn’t work at all; and even the USB ports were dark. The heat and air still seemed to work, but of course I couldn’t see the settings.

After doing a quick internet search, I shut off the truck and opened the door and waited for everything to power completely down. After about 2 or 3 minutes, I restarted the truck and everything was back to normal.

I talked to the dealership and they told me that it might just be a fluke, but if it does it again, to bring it in. So far, it hasn’t done it again, and I hope it doesn’t. The truck had about 1400 miles on it when it happened.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in doubt, start it, shut it off, open the drivers door and shut it. That clears it most of the time. My 2012 was TERRIBLE about that happening. I have had that once on my '18, I think it gets hung up if you don't open the drivers door for some reason.

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went thru this

Syc3 modules are going bad, Ford is backordered across US
bad code w no fix right now..until then keep doin HArd resets and it will clear for a few days or more?