GEN 2 Race radio installed with remote head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rock342

Reaction score
So, in prep for the arizona raptor run coming up this weekend, i have finally finished neatly installing my el-cheapo dual band race radio. It's a TYT-7800 dual band. I wanted a remote head unit, and this was the cheapest radio that met the frequency criteria with that feature.

Not real happy with my hood mount, but damn that Bullet Proof Diesel brake light mount is huge $$$$$ !!!!!

Radio mounted under seat, attached to the bracketed fire extinguisher bar (fire extinguisher still coming)
IMG_7234.jpg

Radio head unit attached to headliner above up fitter switches and below the sunroof curtain.
IMG_7236.jpg

Really really el-cheapo antenna mount. $20. and it shows.
IMG_7242 (1).jpg

OP
OP
R

rock342

Reaction score
Wiring is definitely the trick.
The radio is wired directly from the battery, punched a hole in the grommet on the drivers footwell, and used a fiberglass cable fishing pole to poke it through. From there, under the door sill plastic, up under the passenger chair mount and out the factory cut in the carpet. 100% invisible.
The head unit was more of a challenge, but really the same in the end. From the radio, down under the chair frame, under the door sill, then up the A pillar (remove the grab handle using the bolts and pull the plastic off. Then tuck it behind the headliner all the way across the windshield. Then when you get to the mirror, i poked it behind the plastic cover, and behind the overhead console which houses the us-fitter switches, then out the top to the head unit bracket. unless you look REALLY close you can't see the cable at all. It helped that the cable from the head unit to the radio is basically a telephone cable, nice and flat, and the one in the box was the perfect length for the route.

Best thing to help you do any of this interior stuff is some non-marring plastic tools, like these:
Auto Trim Removal Tool