PAC pro? What is it and why do you need it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Help me out.

What’s this thing all about?

I am understanding now you can grab the signal after the amp. Process it. Amplify it. Then send it to the speakers.

What does this PAC thing do?

Kbobk

Reaction score
It converts the signal so you can send it to an aftermarket amp. Plug and play and it’s supposed to defeat the factory gremlins which ply with the high and low frequencies (to keep owners from blowing their factory speakers). Thus far it’s only available for the 2017’s with the Sony system. No B&O option yet.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not understanding.

So I can grab the speaker level outs from the Sony amp, go into a DSP like a mosconi or audiocontrol, go to my Amps of of choice, then grab the stock speaker wires and I have an amplified clean signal that the DSP can do range summing on, eq adjustment, timing, etc.

So where and why does the PAC thing come into play? What am I gaining?

It may sound dumb but it’s a real question. I’m old. In my day we just pulled out the factory head unit and replaced it with a quality one and then made our upgrades

It converts the signal so you can send it to an aftermarket amp. Plug and play and it’s supposed to defeat the factory gremlins which ply with the high and low frequencies (to keep owners from blowing their factory speakers). Thus far it’s only available for the 2017’s with the Sony system. No B&O option yet.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not understanding.

So I can grab the speaker level outs from the Sony amp, go into a DSP like a mosconi or audiocontrol, go to my Amps of of choice, then grab the stock speaker wires and I have an amplified clean signal that the DSP can do range summing on, eq adjustment, timing, etc.

So where and why does the PAC thing come into play? What am I gaining?

It may sound dumb but it’s a real question. I’m old. In my day we just pulled out the factory head unit and replaced it with a quality one and then made our upgrades

It all makes sense now.

You need the extra db to actually HEAR the stereo !

:roflbow:

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

BTW - to pile on to @Guy’s question(s) here

I suspect that adding the PAC to just the stock system without amp, after doing the speaker / sub upgrades, would significantly improve the sound quality and probably at least the bass volume. Correct?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I went to their website and I read in detail.

I get it. It’s a plug and play solution to eliminate the Sony factory amp and provide a flat signal with preouts to the amps of your choice.

It’s away to avoid losing all your bells and whistles from losing the stock amp.

I’m not sure the signal is of any better quality than a DSP with summing and equalization for a flat signal. It looks like the PAC 8
is a type of DSP in its own right.

Need some folks in the know to answer that question.

It all makes sense now.

You need the extra db to actually HEAR the stereo !

:roflbow:

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

BTW - to pile on to @Guy’s question(s) here

I suspect that adding the PAC to just the stock system without amp, after doing the speaker / sub upgrades, would significantly improve the sound quality and probably at least the bass volume. Correct?

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
signal converters are ******* junk.

just FYI, if its not perfect you are going to get feedback to your system.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this means?

A PAC is a signal converter?

In any case I’m thinking that high level inputs going into a DSP with a dedicated sub amp, a real enclosure, and a dedicated amp for the rest of the speakers with a component setup up front is the probable way I’m going when I do it.

I know Noah is big on mosconi.

I have no brand preference or loyalty. Audison costs a boatload. Anyone know anything about audison DSP?

Any thoughts on the audiocontrol DSP with graphical interface?

signal converters are f****** junk.

just FYI, if its not perfect you are going to get feedback to your system.

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pac pro 4

In any case I’m thinking that high level inputs going into a DSP with a dedicated sub amp, a real enclosure, and a dedicated amp for the rest of the speakers with a component setup up front is the probable way I’m going when I do it.

I have no brand preference or loyalty. Audison costs a boatload. Anyone know anything about audison DSP?

I have a PAC PRO 4 in my 2017 Raptor and it works perfect!

naamanf

Reaction score

I have the PAC with the Toslink module going to a Helix DSP Pro then to the amps. All active system.

Any good DSP should work.