No hard drive on Sync 3 system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 3 wks and just haven't any time to do much with it. I was out in it and I put a cd in the player and it read it and started playing but didn't give me the option to record it like my Sync 1 did. Do we not have hard drives in our new trucks? :crazy:

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck for 3 wks and just haven't any time to do much with it. I was out in it and I put a cd in the player and it read it and started playing but didn't give me the option to record it like my Sync 1 did. Do we not have hard drives in our new trucks? :crazy:

That's a good question. My Gen1 had an 80GB hard drive to which I loaded at ton of music to (it was called your "library" in the menu). I'm like you, I haven't had time to explore this. Can anyone help?

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. My Gen1 had an 80GB hard drive to which I loaded at ton of music to (it was called your "library" in the menu). I'm like you, I haven't had time to explore this. Can anyone help?

I know and I totally loved that feature. I had like 5000 songs on it and I used it all the time. I'll mess around with it some more tomorrow.

kenramp

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a hard drive. If you don't want to use your phone for music you should be able to put your music on a USB thumb drive and put it in one of the USB slots.

a1d5af8e249e034871ec633f40322a9b.png

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JimmieMathews

Reaction score
Ken Ramp and SilentShooter both have it correct. The Jukebox feature has not been on vehicles since the end of production of Sync + Navigation. I have been recommending flash drives or storage on the phone since 2013. I will also say that Sync 2 (MyFord Touch) will only handle up to a 16gb flash drive and still index files. I have not personally tried beyond a 16gb flash drive with Sync 3, but I have been in the vehicle with a customer who had a 64gb, which popped up a window stating that it could not index the music files.

Sync 2 utilized an SD card which could be purchased from any Ford Parts Dept or online to update the Nav data. Sync 3 should be connected to WiFi (home, work, etc) to perform software updates, and Ford provided a Nav data update when version 2.2 was released.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ken Ramp and SilentShooter both have it correct. The Jukebox feature has not been on vehicles since the end of production of Sync + Navigation. I have been recommending flash drives or storage on the phone since 2013. I will also say that Sync 2 (MyFord Touch) will only handle up to a 16gb flash drive and still index files. I have not personally tried beyond a 16gb flash drive with Sync 3, but I have been in the vehicle with a customer who had a 64gb, which popped up a window stating that it could not index the music files.

Sync 2 utilized an SD card which could be purchased from any Ford Parts Dept or online to update the Nav data. Sync 3 should be connected to WiFi (home, work, etc) to perform software updates, and Ford provided a Nav data update when version 2.2 was released.

IYO, what is the best way to play files through this version of Sync? I have a 60gb iPod Classic, and it "indexes" it every time you turn on the system, taking huge chunks of time. During this time, you cannot access genres, artists or even playlists directly until it is finished. It is very annoying. I've started just leaving it in whatever playlist I generally like so that it will at least start there/I can listen to that while it indexes.

Like I've posted on here before, I'd like to keep the player, because I've had good results sending a pre-equalized signal from the iPod to the headunit, plus I'd like to have access to all my songs/playlists.

Thanks in advance for your response.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On Sync 1 and 2, I've always used a 16 GB USB flash drive. All of my MP3s have correct ID tags and have been "leveled" to the max volume possible without clipping the loudest part of the loudest track on each album. It's so nice to have consistent volume on all tracks when using "shuffle all". I never have any indexing issues.

JimmieMathews

Reaction score
IYO, what is the best way to play files through this version of Sync? I have a 60gb iPod Classic, and it "indexes" it every time you turn on the system, taking huge chunks of time. During this time, you cannot access genres, artists or even playlists directly until it is finished. It is very annoying. I've started just leaving it in whatever playlist I generally like so that it will at least start there/I can listen to that while it indexes.

Like I've posted on here before, I'd like to keep the player, because I've had good results sending a pre-equalized signal from the iPod to the headunit, plus I'd like to have access to all my songs/playlists.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Honestly, I usually have a couple of flash drives loaded up with music, but I hardly use them anymore. When you get past 16 gb, it will always perform this way. There's no solution for it. I met a guy once who had 9-10 flash drives in his vehicle for this purpose, each one a different genre (or decade).

Most of my driving is short trips, so I'm either Blutoothing my own music or listening to music via an app. Mostly Spotify. But I can go with a flash drive or my phone (takes a while to index- lots of music on there) or even for longer trips.

Flash drives are cheap these days.

Also, I don't use the touchscreen much. I use the voice commands for pretty much everything, such as "Blutooth Audio," "USB," and then the related voice commands.

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I usually have a couple of flash drives loaded up with music, but I hardly use them anymore. When you get past 16 gb, it will always perform this way. There's no solution for it. I met a guy once who had 9-10 flash drives in his vehicle for this purpose, each one a different genre (or decade).

Most of my driving is short trips, so I'm either Blutoothing my own music or listening to music via an app. Mostly Spotify. But I can go with a flash drive or my phone (takes a while to index- lots of music on there) on even for longer trips.

Flash drives are cheap these days.

Thanks, but it's absurd a multimedia interface in a 2018 vehicle can't interact with an iPod. My previous 2014 Tundra had no problem with it. This and the inability to change sources from the steering wheel are the two biggest tech/entertainment fails in the vehicle, IMO.

Last edited: