My iPhone setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Mob Armor MobNetic Elite mount for my iPhone 6S. I find it to be the perfect placement of my phone to provide usefulness without distraction. For just bopping around town running errands and getting coffee ;-) it's simple to toss phone on the magnet and call it good.

Occasionally, maybe on a road trip or whatever, I want to charge it or use CarPlay but don't want a 3' long cable dangling everywhere. Found these dual right angle 27cm USB lightning cables on Amazon. 3 Pack for $9.99.

Also like the option of powering phone from dash 12v outlet and not triggering CarPlay when I just wanna stream BT audio. For that I use the Griffin PowerJolt Dual Micro.

Here's some pics and links. $60 all said and done.

MobNetic Elite
Griffin PowerJolt Dual
YICHUMY cables

Attachments

• phone mount.jpg
    phone mount.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 224
  • cable and mount.jpg
    cable and mount.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 235
  • from dash.jpg
    from dash.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 212
  • from bin.jpg
    from bin.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 204
  • cable1.jpg
    cable1.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 211

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That is blissfully uncluttered. Sadly, my wife being my wife, I cannot live a clutter free existence. It seems I can’t even live a reduced clutter existence.

I was thinking of looking for a retractable lightning cable, if there is such a thing, but I’m a bit leery of non Apple connectors.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. There are lots of retractable cables but I'd think you'd just have to plan on regular replacement...they all look pretty cheap.

ahallada

Reaction score
I picked this one up last week on Amazon for $9.99. It's seems really sturdy and it's been working great with my iPhone 7 Plus. I have mine connected to the air vent to the right of the steering wheel so I can use it to mute my radar detector and get traffic info on Waze app. I can't use the magnet type on my phone because I have a credit card holder attached to the back of my phone.
I give this one 5 stars though so far. Haven't taken it off road much but it seems firmly attached.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R68TSH/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Attachments

• Raptor Cockpit.jpg
    Raptor Cockpit.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

PAW RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give the one you have a try, Ahallada. It got really good reviews I see and I'm not out much at only $10. I have the iPhone X that has Qi charging so the magnetic one is a no go.

ahallada

Reaction score
Beam Electronics Universal Smartphone Car Air Vent Mount Holder Cradle Compatible wi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073R68TSH/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_rsQlAbVTPA3DD

It's gone up in price since Black Friday's sale.

av8roc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Mob Armor MobNetic Elite mount for my iPhone 6S. I find it to be the perfect placement of my phone to provide usefulness without distraction. For just bopping around town running errands and getting coffee ;-) it's simple to toss phone on the magnet and call it good.

Occasionally, maybe on a road trip or whatever, I want to charge it or use CarPlay but don't want a 3' long cable dangling everywhere. Found these dual right angle 27cm USB lightning cables on Amazon. 3 Pack for $9.99.

Also like the option of powering phone from dash 12v outlet and not triggering CarPlay when I just wanna stream BT audio. For that I use the Griffin PowerJolt Dual Micro.

Here's some pics and links. $60 all said and done.

MobNetic Elite
Griffin PowerJolt Dual
YICHUMY cables

BFR I just copied your setup. I have an iPhone X and would like to wireless charge but I don't want some clunky looking setup. I have a metal plate on the bottom of my iPhone case and it still allows me to wireless charge at home, I'll just have to plug it in while driving the truck.

Also I really don't like CarPlay. I would if it weren't for the fact that it uses Apple Maps which I despise. I prefer the Ford navigation and real time traffic (so far I've been using waze as well but the Ford does a good job). I like the text message integration with carplay but I just can't deal with Apple Maps.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
BFR I just copied your setup. I have an iPhone X and would like to wireless charge but I don't want some clunky looking setup. I have a metal plate on the bottom of my iPhone case and it still allows me to wireless charge at home, I'll just have to plug it in while driving the truck.

Also I really don't like CarPlay. I would if it weren't for the fact that it uses Apple Maps which I despise. I prefer the Ford navigation and real time traffic (so far I've been using waze as well but the Ford does a good job). I like the text message integration with carplay but I just can't deal with Apple Maps.

I’m not crazy about CarPlay either. it’s more trouble than it’s worth if you ask me, but to be fair, I’ve had better luck with Apple maps than the Ford nav. Was just in Kentucky going to distilleries, lots of places where Lucille tells me ‘incomplete map data...’ It got me there, but it’s outdated in places where Apple is current. New interstate interchanges for example, back roads to Makers Mark, etc.

av8roc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not crazy about CarPlay either. it’s more trouble than it’s worth if you ask me, but to be fair, I’ve had better luck with Apple maps than the Ford nav. Was just in Kentucky going to distilleries, lots of places where Lucille tells me ‘incomplete map data...’ It got me there, but it’s outdated in places where Apple is current. New interstate interchanges for example, back roads to Makers Mark, etc.

Thats probably true but thats also why I run waze on the phone if I'm actually navigating and concerned with traffic. Also the graphics on the apple maps display suck.

OP
OP
bfr

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish we could just do Waze on CarPlay on iPhone (with Ford display) and have Spotify kicking along in the background. <<someday>> sigh.