GEN 2 Lawrence or iPad GPS Set Up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorShennanigans

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a GPS set up for when we do Raptor runs and I've seen Lawrence units being used as well as iPad set ups.. Looking for some input from those of you that have either or used both and have a preference? What are the Pro's - Con's of each? I have seen SDHQ install a Lawrence in the pocket above the radio and it looks pretty slick, but I'm a tech guy and like the idea of pairing up an iPad with a GPS unit but not entirely sure how that would work... Share thoughts and pics if you have them..

Thanks!

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run an iPad with the LeadNav app and a Skypro XGPS160 gps receiver. I currently have it mount on the dash with a Alpha 1 gps mount that I customized to hold my iPad in a Griffin case but have also run the iPad with a Ram mount that hooks under the passenger seat. The Skypro uses Bluetooth so it is really easy to use.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have used both in my Raptor. Truth be told, I enjoyed using both simultaneously. Here's what I did.

I got the Lowrance Elite mounted to the top of my dash(very original, I know). Then I used a RAM suction mount and mounted it to the drivers window when I'm solo or to the passenger window when I have someone shotgun. The Lowrance outperformed the iPad in every aspect though.

dirtslinger

Reaction score
We have a Baja run coming up over Labor day weekend, I didn't need a GPS as I'm not the one leading it. My buddy is, and he did it all on LeadNav, but I wanted to have one in the car anyway.

I found this Ram cup holder mount, and then a cigarette lighter plug. Did some testing around town and it works great so far.

Ignore the "Oil Temp" sticker, I stole the GPS out of the race car.

Attachments

• IMG_20170818_121209234_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170818_121209234_HDR.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 92

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is my setup using a ipad 4 and leadnav. The best option imo because it can be used to play music or watch movies as well as the nav.
Mounting is done with neodymium magnets (it doesn't move)
Gps is an external xgps160
That is a pelican case..i also have and use a lifeproof (which doesn't have a cover)
Side note, if you have an android tablet leadnav is not, and never will be available
ab7118e6139b63bf8e82d6352acda76c.jpg08a20d92d3b032ce3200be7334fd8d6a.jpgca05c0b7273d3b47b820f88cb12c78c3.jpg

Last edited: