Just ordered the Tesla style radio for my Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have not evaporated... just new job, busy! I’ll review the questions and answer them tonight.

OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guy, appreciate the info.

Could care less about sirius, voice commands (seriously, why do car manufacturers even bother?!). I have never used the remote start via the app, though I am not sure if that would be helpful. So overall, I can easily live with the features not supported.

I am curious to know everyday usability and reliability - does it lag, does it freeze, how quick is it to startup when you get in the car, how quickly does it switch to reverse camera view, etc. Even small amounts of lag or glitches can totally derail the user experience in every day life.

Also, OP, does it ship with everything needed for install, or do you have to order any harnesses or adapters or cords separately? What about dash trim pieces? Is all of the install in the dash itself, or do you have to run wires or connect/disconnect anything elsewhere on the truck?

Overall, it sounds like for $800, this could be a very nice upgrade. I will stay tuned to this thread for more user reviews. Thanks OP for pointing us to this option.

Does not lag or freeze and the reverse camera comes on instantly. Came with everything need to install. Instructions are terrible, but it was easy to figure out. Plug and play.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Any updates?

Any glitches? How responsive is the screen? Any lag? Any lag operating the AC, etc?

Pretty responsive. Took a minute to get used to the climate control buttons/ actions and the volume control but the steering wheel controls still work fine. I do have to admit I prefer the simplicity of the dials.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Yes, agreed. Question - is this an Android based system? Or can I get google assistant on it in some fashion? If I can use android auto on it, that would address this, but wondering if the unit can stand on its own without having to use the phone tethered.

A car system that's connected to the Internet AND actually recognizes voice commands intelligently is a game changer. That would make people use their car's in-built nav again without using their phones like they do now.

Google assistant is contextually aware, many times I would say "take me to the closest CVS" and it would make its own decisions on which one is fastest to get to, based on current traffic. Current car systems cannot recognize our voice as well, or make any of those decisions. Or I'd say "take me to mead's market" and even if it didn't originally hear exactly what I said, it will correct itself because it knows what's around me that sounds similar.

Yes, android based but voice controls are inop. That would be awesome if they did work with the google maps or waze.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

My only other complaint with this system is that the screen is difficult to read/ see while wearing polarized sunglasses. Clear and bright without them, but I wear good glasses so often I have to look over them if relying on a map.

Kids love the video capabilities. Weird- utube videos have everyone looking like a smurf. All other sources look great.

Overall still very happy with the tablet conversion, but keep in mind I upgraded a base truck so I didn’t have to give up anything but my dials.

Side bonus- passengers seeing it for the 1st time are universally/ consistently blown away.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info!

So the screen has a blue tint with YouTube??

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does not lag or freeze and the reverse camera comes on instantly. Came with everything need to install. Instructions are terrible, but it was easy to figure out. Plug and play.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

Pretty responsive. Took a minute to get used to the climate control buttons/ actions and the volume control but the steering wheel controls still work fine. I do have to admit I prefer the simplicity of the dials.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Yes, android based but voice controls are inop. That would be awesome if they did work with the google maps or waze.

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

My only other complaint with this system is that the screen is difficult to read/ see while wearing polarized sunglasses. Clear and bright without them, but I wear good glasses so often I have to look over them if relying on a map.

Kids love the video capabilities. Weird- utube videos have everyone looking like a smurf. All other sources look great.

Overall still very happy with the tablet conversion, but keep in mind I upgraded a base truck so I didn’t have to give up anything but my dials.

Side bonus- passengers seeing it for the 1st time are universally/ consistently blown away.

Thanks for the info OP.

Interesting feedback on the video quality. What's the screen resolution of the panel? Is it an LCD or OLED? Do you know the PPI? Not having youtube is fine by me, with so many high quality gadgets in our life these days I don't need to sit in my car to watch TV.

Why are Voice controls inoperative? Is it a hardware thing or is it likely to be fixed with a future software update of the unit?

The no voice control thing is a deal breaker for me. Because without google assistant voice controls, I might as well continue just using my phone instead of fiddling with a virtual keyboard on screen. I know having google maps is a step up from the car's built-in navigation, but still, the real value is in instantly telling google what to do rather than sequential physical input.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, blue skin just on YouTube other videos are fine ( like Netflix). You could mirror your phone and use voice commands on the phone still I imagine- I haven’t tried.
You can also adjust the brightness or completely turn off the display if you want dark. Just remember where the button is!

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix audio unfortunately does not have the radio that has 3 buttons at the top. 802a.

Linkswell does.

It’s due out in June/July. I’m waiting. :)

So... Guy, have you bought one of these and figured this out yet? :biggrin:

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phoenix audio unfortunately does not have the radio that has 3 buttons at the top. 802a.

Linkswell does.

It’s due out in June/July. I’m waiting. :)

So are we, for your in depth analysis and opinions :biggrin:

Subscribing to this thread.