Just ordered the Tesla style radio for my Raptor...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. But for $1000 less I’ll take a chance on the 12” screen. If it doesn’t work out this is a good option.

LeadFootCraig

Reaction score
Following

I am interested to see how this turns out. I should have my truck the first week of June and I am also interested in doing this. Looking forward to updates/pictures.

FmaxTurboSi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my brother in law has a 14 ram megacab...... a company out here in socal used his truck to design/program the screens for the ram trucks. They gave him a free screen for his time.

Took only 2 weeks before he went back to the place and had them reinstall the factory equipment. The blutooth was horrible, not all the buttons worked properly, when he used the voice command to make a call it would automatically redial the last person he called, the stereo didn't sound as good, took forever to boot up. He got fed up after his battery's died twice. The company even paid for 2 new replacement battery's thinking they were bad, but they continued to die.

The screen looked cool.....but that's about it. Couldn't tolerate all the little problems even though he didn't have to pay for it.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting this.

That’s what I was afraid of too.

It sounds not quite ready for prime time. Dealing with bugs, lag, and slow boot isn’t cool.

I’m waiting for the original poster to relay his experience with the Ford one.

my brother in law has a 14 ram megacab...... a company out here in socal used his truck to design/program the screens for the ram trucks. They gave him a free screen for his time.

Took only 2 weeks before he went back to the place and had them reinstall the factory equipment. The blutooth was horrible, not all the buttons worked properly, when he used the voice command to make a call it would automatically redial the last person he called, the stereo didn't sound as good, took forever to boot up. He got fed up after his battery's died twice. The company even paid for 2 new replacement battery's thinking they were bad, but they continued to die.

The screen looked cool.....but that's about it. Couldn't tolerate all the little problems even though he didn't have to pay for it.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It came yesterday and I installed it today. Too early to review but everything works fine and the install was easy. Stereo sounds about the same but I now have more tone control with an eq. Phone works fine and the iPhone paired immediately.

I’ll play with it for a few days and then take some pics and write a review. So far, it’s pretty awesome esp vs the 4” base screen and for $800.... going conventional (Kenwood etc) with a maestro to retain steering wheel controls and the adapter kit would have been significantly more $$.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad is the boot time?

Is it a low end tablet? Is the screen laggy? Does it stutter with the nav map? Etc.

Details!

It came yesterday and I installed it today. Too early to review but everything works fine and the install was easy. Stereo sounds about the same but I now have more tone control with an eq. Phone works fine and the iPhone paired immediately.

I’ll play with it for a few days and then take some pics and write a review. So far, it’s pretty awesome esp vs the 4” base screen and for $800.... going conventional (Kenwood etc) with a maestro to retain steering wheel controls and the adapter kit would have been significantly more $$.

OP
OP
C

Carnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boot time is roughly 20 seconds. The rear camera works immediately and the slash screen is a raptor getting it done in the dirt and looks super cool. You can change it to whatever you like... doesn’t bother me at all.
1st day and all is well. Radio and Bluetooth working great. Can’t talk to text anymore So that sucks. You can just turn off Bluetooth and talk to text if you have to. Waze map isn’t displayed-I’m not sure why.. the system does display the latest google maps app which is great. You can also mirror your phone (I haven’t done it) so with dash command you’d be able to see all sorts of gauges.
I’ll continue to play with this thing before doing a complete review. Tablet doesn’t feel or operate like a cheap tablet.
I can also say that I believe the Linkswell unit and the Phoenix are the SAME unit. Looking at the install video Linkswell did there is zero difference in the units or supplied cables. The operational videos show the units operate exactly the same too. Based on the shipping docs the unit costs $720usd. Phoenix marks them up to $800 and Linkswell to $1700.
If there is a software difference I haven’t seen it yet.