iPad Mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorShennanigans

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone find/know of a rock solid iPad Pro mount for GPS? I've decided to go iPad direction and not sure of the Ram-A-Can mount for a 12" iPad...

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One idea I saw here but haven't checked out is to remove the cap on the grab handle, remove the bolt and replace it with a RAM-like ball to use a RAM mount.

Perhaps something like this from a company called Carolina Metal Masters - this is on a Jeep...

Jeep-RAM-Arm-2.jpg

Link: https://www.carolinametalmasters.com/

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
43bef64d5b8604079c4d26ebfbe8826c.jpgb1628c56ef8c6f02f08240cfaddad875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marco,
I have been waiting since the first week of March (2017) for my small Northern Minnesota dealer to actually get me a Raptor, but sooner or later mine will show up and I can actually start 'personalizing' it. Your mount is what I have been thinking about doing, but without having a vehicle to see what the material is that I would be mounting it to I am not sure about the strength of the dash material. Did you put a stiffener under the dash tray or just tap the 4 screws into the dash? I am also curious about what type of phone mount you have pictured there.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran this setup on my gen1 too... Bolted down sturdy, discrete when not used, cheap, and easily covered up when you sell truck. More pics in my build thread...

Ram Ball Mount for Tablet

79007C29-99F4-4B2C-851A-2D7CCBB2BCFE_zpszrwfykt5.jpg

D95784AC-0FE9-482D-9804-50420F8CE332_zpsz1wt3udc.jpg

1955A8D1-81FC-4249-A502-F7A762434D40_zpsglwkvry9.jpg

DEFFCEB6-F0CA-49E8-909F-7D2F6F43EE9C_zpsbnfadz4k.jpg

Another member above mentioned using the grab handle bolts. BarkBeetle turned me onto this, no pics handy of mine, but see his image below. I uses a similar mount but support goes toward dash and floats below my Nguage. Perfect for a phone or smaller tablet. I run a spare iPhone with leadnav on it, sync'd to bluetooth audio for turn by turn there.

This uses a ram ball mount with Female M6 Thread. Source a ~1" M6 threaded stud from hardware store.
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-273-M6U

Ram Ball mount for GrabHandle

64a63d421072c961c6abec4519479fbe.jpg

Only downer to this setup, the Gen2s do have a cover for the handle bolt holes. So it will dangle if u keep it installed, and be semi unfinished there if you remove entirely (not really noticeable though). If seeking a super clean setup, run a longer stud and drill a small hole in the cover to allow the stud to pass through, and thread the ball on outside of cover

marcomilano77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marco,

I have been waiting since the first week of March (2017) for my small Northern Minnesota dealer to actually get me a Raptor, but sooner or later mine will show up and I can actually start 'personalizing' it. Your mount is what I have been thinking about doing, but without having a vehicle to see what the material is that I would be mounting it to I am not sure about the strength of the dash material. Did you put a stiffener under the dash tray or just tap the 4 screws into the dash? I am also curious about what type of phone mount you have pictured there.

These are pics from another guy (he posted on the FB group), not mine. But I'm copying him and get the same system installed next week.
I don't know much about the phone mount, sorry.

He made a reinforcement plate bolted under the rubber mat that stays there the whole time 4bd2843b861ddadcea57a61c62271e93.jpg

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I suspected, it is probably plastic and the reinforcement will keep the driver from getting beaned by the iPad and mount should he decide to take the truck somewhere more technical than the Starbucks parking lot! Thanks Marco.

Swarfworks

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are pics from another guy (he posted on the FB group), not mine. But I'm copying him and get the same system installed next week.
I don't know much about the phone mount, sorry.

He made a reinforcement plate bolted under the rubber mat that stays there the whole time 4bd2843b861ddadcea57a61c62271e93.jpg

Yup, that's mine. Well, now it's Marco's. I used double sided foam tape to hold it to the underside of the dash piece as seen in the above pic. The tape is to hold it there when you take the mounting ball off. Then just put the factory rubber mat back and you can't see that anything was there.

I'm working on another plate that is a little bigger and will tie into the front mounting holes of that dash piece for a little more support.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips on popping out the center tray to do that mod? I don't want to break off any tabs or anything.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any tips on popping out the center tray to do that mod? I don't want to break off any tabs or anything.

Pry up the speaker grill with favorite trim tool (plastic HF trim tool), (2) small 7mm screws to remove under there. The front portion of the tray is held in with tension clips, just pry front edge with same trim tool. It will then pull out, just need to unplug the speaker wire harness.

In the image below you will see the tray with speaker grill removed, (2) rear bolt holes, and the front edge unclipped. Its beefy plastic, so some washers are more than enough if just mounting a tablet. A Lowrance or heavier unit you might want to make a beefier plate like shown by Marco

DEFFCEB6-F0CA-49E8-909F-7D2F6F43EE9C_zpsbnfadz4k.jpg

Last edited: