Increasing amps of upfitters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBXRAPTOR17

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted- I searched and couldn't find anything on this forum.

Is it possible to change the 5A up fitter to a 25amp switch by using a 25amp rated relay and appropriate 25amp fuse? I know this can be done on F-250s but haven't seen it mentioned on the raptor. A 20 am circuit would also do....

thanks

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted- I searched and couldn't find anything on this forum.

Is it possible to change the 5A up fitter to a 25amp switch by using a 25amp rated relay and appropriate 25amp fuse? I know this can be done on F-250s but haven't seen it mentioned on the raptor. A 20 am circuit would also do....

thanks
good question.. other than the wire gauge would be interesting concept

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, the wire gauge is too small. You need to add another circuit and relay, in my opinion, this was stupid that there is not at least one or two 25 amp upfitters.

OP
OP
OBXRAPTOR17

OBXRAPTOR17

Reaction score
In the scenario I am asking about, the 5A upfitter would only energize the coil of the relay. The relay would be rated to 30A (for example) and all the wire going in and out of the relay (except lead for coil) would be gauged for 30 amps with inline fuse- would THIS work? the 5A switch and the wiring harness of the vehicle would never see 30A, correct or incorrect?

thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yes, that can work wired properly. I did this with my behind the grill lights. I believe there are a few posts describing in some detail, if you don’t have a kit with instructions.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the scenario I am asking about, the 5A upfitter would only energize the coil of the relay. The relay would be rated to 30A (for example) and all the wire going in and out of the relay (except lead for coil) would be gauged for 30 amps with inline fuse- would THIS work? the 5A switch and the wiring harness of the vehicle would never see 30A, correct or incorrect?

thanks
o ya. thats what i did for some of my rigids. the upfitter is just used as the switch.
i thought u were saying before u wanted to replace ford oem relays and fuses.

Last edited:

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. You're just using the factory wire as an energizer, and can be as little as 2 amps. I already have 2 relays on there, someday I'll tidy it all up like some guys did in the gen 1 upfitter threads. Some nice work done there.

OP
OP
OBXRAPTOR17

OBXRAPTOR17

Reaction score
o ya. thats what i did for some of my rigids. the upfitter is just used as the switch.
i thought u were saying before u wanted to replace ford oem relays and fuses.

yea- i didnt frame the question very clearly- thanks for the help.