hardwiring dashcam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Top of the morning to you,

I am looking to hardwire my dashcam to my pass-through wires that are located under the passenger side fuse box.

My goal is to have the dash cam connected to power always. I understand the premise of taking the hot wires under the hood and connecting them to the corresponding pass through wire under the hood. I am trying to figure out which upfitter switch I want the dashcam connected to.

Once I make the connection with the hot wire (aux wire) to the pass through wire under the hood, I plan on running a hardwire cable above the head liner and down the passenger A pillar and connect the wire to the corresponding pass through wire at the location of the passenger side fuse box. The circuit will be grounded to the nut and bolt conveniently located on the frame.

I have a few questions.
1.) Which aux switch would you connect the dash cam to?
2.) Which hard wire cable do you recommend?
3.) I don't need to mess with anything like connecting a fuse because the way the raptor aux switches are wired?
4.) If you see anything in the above that doesn't make sense or my understanding of the way this works is incorrect, please let me know.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have a few questions.
1.) Which aux switch would you connect the dash cam to?
2.) Which hard wire cable do you recommend?
3.) I don't need to mess with anything like connecting a fuse because the way the raptor aux switches are wired?
4.) If you see anything in the above that doesn't make sense or my understanding of the way this works is incorrect, please let me know.

My personal opinion is an upfitter for something as low draw as a dash cam is a bit on the wasteful side, but it is your truck we’re talking about here.

With your plan, I’d consider sw 5 or 6, they’re the lowest amperage switches. You won’t need a fuse, but if you were to run a lower than up fitter amperage on that circuit, you might save yourself a trip to the main fuse box if you blow the circuit by pinching a wire or something simple. just a thought, not a recommendation.

I think I might consider either tapping power at the headliner / mirror area for a top of the glass mount. I’m actually in the same thought process. I’ve tried to press 3 go-pros into service for this, and I think I have finally gotten my Hero5 session stable enough to consider a hard mount. You can run the USB cable to a USB to 12v cable and either tap at the mirror, OR, just run the wire down to the dash area and use either the cigarette lighter or plug with adapter.

I had a Yi briefly, but the sound was terrible, hero4 black #1 quit on me, and go-pro replaced. hero5 session has been quite frustrating. I have struggled to get it to keep from freezing up, even with recommended SD cards. stable lately tho.

good luck!

OP
OP
roscopeeco78

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I saw where you can buy wires for the mirror tap option. I was under the assumption that if you did the mirror tap, you wouldn't need it connected to power at the 12v cigarette lighter.

Also, I have the 801A. I am assuming the mirrors are the same. Have you seen instructions on mirror tapping on the raptor yet?

I bought a Vantrue dash cam for $65 on amazon. They were running a special. I haven't formatted an SD card and taken video yet, but it seems like a great product on the reviews.