A Great Raptor Gen 2 Audiophile Sound System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumat

Reaction score
I've always been a car guy all my life, but what really got me into cars was my best friend's older brother and his killer sound systems in his Typhoon to his Benz. That was in the 80's when Nakamichi, PPI, MB Quart and Image Dynamics were some of the hot names in quality car audio components.

Times have changed, most manufacturers mfg in China (which doesn't mean it's a poorly engineered product) and factory car audio sound systems are dyam good compared to a decade ago. Well maybe not all. The Gen2 Sony 700 watt is . . .

The second I turned on the audio, I knew it needed audio.

I turned to the veterans at Al&Eds Autosound in West Hollywood because they've installed some of my past systems.

After inspecting the Sony factory audio, we decided on the following components:
Front Doors & A-Pillars: Focal ES 165KX2 K2 Power Series 6-3/4" components
Rear Doors: Focal Integration ISC 165 6-3/4" 2-way speakers
Sub(s): Alpine SWR-T10 Shallow Mount 10" woofers
AMP: Alpine PDX-V9 900 watt amp
Factory interface: PAC AP4-FD21

I'm a lot older now and over the days of neon lit acrylic subwoofer boxes, custom formed door kick panels, etc. etc. I told the head technician: "HIDE EVERYTHING. INSTALL EVERYTHING STEALTH. MAKE SURE IT POUNDS CLEAN from ACDC to Alesso to Jay Z."

He was skeptical of the 2x10" woofers fitting in a proper volume enclosure, but I told him "make it work!"

The PAC factory interface allowed for a front, rear & sub flat audio output at 5V RMS. This seems to be a great interface for those who want a nice clean sound base: Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future

There's not much to show since everything is hidden, but I did manage to snap a couple pics of the subwoofer box, where the Alpine amp was mounted, where the factory jack was relocated and where the factory amp was relocated.

The Alpine AMP sits behind the right seatback, while the sub box sits behind the left seatback. The technician installed the bass knob from the Alpine amp on the throat of the steering wheel column. The factory amp is tucked away next to the sub box and wrapped in black carpet. There's no speakers hooked up to it, but the technician mentioned it does need to stay plugged in.

The system sounds amazing at 22-25 on all my favorite genres.

Hope this gives good 411 to other owners, and inspires others to crank up that sound system to the next level that this badass truck deserves!

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1289.jpg
    IMG_1289.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 153

sher-bant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Cool.

Can you recommend a good install guy in Chicago? NW side.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm hoping to get speakers done in a month or two and I'm glad I won't have to sacrifice all the room for activities for a dual sub setup.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sumat

Reaction score
Awesome! I'm hoping to get speakers done in a month or two and I'm glad I won't have to sacrifice all the room for activities for a dual sub setup.

Sent from my 2017 Raptor using Tapatalk

Dual sub setup is a squeeze behind the seats, but as you can see, it can be done!