GEN 2 Fordpass Controls Processing Time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious how long of a delay people are seeing using Vehicle Controls (lock/unlock/start)

On average, if it doesn't error, its ~25 seconds.

I'll be clear, I am starting a vehicle via a phone, so i respect the magical sorcery of this all... But, the equiv OnStar app for my GM product :yucky:, which is several years old now in technology, accomplishes the same task in less than 10 seconds. On top of that, i believe the Viper App i used back in 2011 also achieved this is a similar 10secs or less.

So, curious if:

A) Fordpass is just not as good as brand x
2) My software or app is more laggy than other owners
D) I sound like an entitled douchy millennial

Disclaimer, I have yet to memorize or set my door keypad # and was standing in the rain today for the full 25 seconds, thus the post

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tested the time lag on mine and it's anywhere from 10-15 seconds. I've seen it take 30 seconds as well, so I started testing some things and found it to take less time when I have less running on my phone. That tells me it's more related to the app and your phone than the actual communication with the truck. Even at 30 seconds, its not an issue since I only use the app when the key fob won't work due to distance.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
In the app, to start the truck I need to press and hold for about 2-3 seconds, at that point, I’m done with the app, I close the screen down, put the phone away and go on with life. When I’m ready in the next few seconds to minutes, i head out to the truck, get in and go.

I know it’s asynchronous and network communication dependent. Yeah, I’ve heard the truck fire up in the background but not always, so I haven’t really paid attention to this.

I did have F/P cr@p out on me once. I left the app open on the phone and recalled it. I believe there’s a session time out at play. I restarted the app and it worked.

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tested the time lag on mine and it's anywhere from 10-15 seconds. I've seen it take 30 seconds as well, so I started testing some things and found it to take less time when I have less running on my phone. That tells me it's more related to the app and your phone than the actual communication with the truck. Even at 30 seconds, its not an issue since I only use the app when the key fob won't work due to distance.

Could very well be the case for the fordpass app, but doesn't effect the Onstar one... :supergay:

Key/Fob not working?

just cases where I run out to truck and dont have key. ill just learn the damn keypad, solved.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Could very well be the case for the fordpass app, but doesn't effect the Onstar one...

Onstar = Government Motors. You’re right, that is :supergay:

I tried to get a feel for this today and found ford pass had logged me out. Great, what was my id? ok, now what password did I use? got it on the 4th or 5th try I think. took me longer to remember the damn password than to start the truck.

...was standing in the rain today for the full 25 seconds

Definitely a first world problem. :biggrin:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Could very well be the case for the fordpass app, but doesn't effect the Onstar one... :supergay:

just cases where I run out to truck and dont have key. ill just learn the damn keypad, solved.

You can change the door code on the sync3 menu. Pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk