****** Max 360 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

ahallada

Reaction score
holly smokes I just read up on this Radar is it really as good as they say? they being ****** the company?
they will pay for ticket if you get one? thats pretty confident of them I like that. the technology they claim in that lil box is cool.

I'm not sure how much of the technology is new as the 9500ix has GPS capabilities as well and is still one of their best radar detectors. The Max 360 adds directional arrow technology after V1 patent came off, and bluetooth built in which allows you to connect to Android and iOS phones. Their award winning ****** Live app is pretty cool but it's basically Google map with ******'s reporting and database built in. If you are in an area where there are a lot of ****** Live users, then you will get the most information on speed cameras and Ka band reporting. I don't find it very useful in my area of CA as we don't have many speed cameras if any. There is one speed trap area listed in Santa Maria, CA which is the only thing reported on the entire central coast. The Live app also has a cool second Dashboard window you can display that has GPS speedo that is large and readable along with speed limit for that segment of road, and access to your music controls. Not something we really need with Sync 3. The digital speedo is pretty cool though and useful.

I run this app in the background so that I still receive voice alerts. I usually run Waze app in the foreground as I like it's mapping, and there are way more users in our area reporting police, accidents, slow traffic etc.. Waze also shows the actual speed of the traffic in slow traffic areas so you can plan your route better.

As far as the radar detector itself, I'm really impressed with it. I was driving through town last night and got a Ka hit on the frontage road. At first I thought it was a false signal because it was near a busy intersection and grocery stores and gas stations, but when I got up near the strong signal band, there were flashing lights and he /she had someone pulled over in town. The sensitivity was set on auto and I picked it up about a half mile away at a 90 degree setting. The police was on the other side of the interstate to my right. The arrows were right on through the whole interaction from front to side and then front again and then back as I left the scene. Then I drove a ways past and the police car pulled out and was behind me with radar still on. I pulled over on a side street and walla there were two of them working together. One was a Ford Explorer and the other a sedan. They followed each other through a small segment of town and then split up for a bit and then went around opposite sides of a big block. it was cool to track the signal with the Max 360.

After doing some research on this radar detector it looks like there were some recent firmware issues when Apple upgraded phones to iOS 11. It was causing BT connection issues and freezing issues. They got fixed a month ago but I'm sticking with my original firmware it came with and iOS 10 for now. It connects fast to bluetooth once the ****** Live app is started. The app gives you another meter display and the ability to mute the detector. It also reports any Ka activity or Laser activity to the Live community automatically. There is some concern with ****** collecting data on individuals driving behavior. I'm not sure how much of that is a concern and if they would ever use this info against you in the future ie. Facebook/ Google/ NSA collaboration. lol

To block X and K band signals from speed signs , stores etc. it uses it's built in GPS, memory bank , and auto learn feature or you can manually block them by pressing the mute button 3 times when the alarm goes off. Once these are in the memory, they will block these from being audible but they will show up on the display. It also uses priority settings to block these signals if another band is present at the same time. This happened last night as I was driving away from this officer , I ran through a K band speed sign zone as his signal was fading and it went to K band signal, then the radar detector switched back to Ka band once he pulled out and was behind me about 500 - 600 yards. You can also set it up to display multiple signals at one time with amplitudes for each signal and signal type. So really what this adds over the 9500 ix is bluetooth and directional arrows and a few new tweaks in the settings. The detection range is much longer as well. The arrows are worth the extra $$$ to me. I really like to know where the signal is coming from and if they are coming up behind me or sitting out in front of me.

The biggest advantages of this Max 360 over other detectors for me are the directional arrows, bluetooth integration with iphone and Live app, easy setup through the iphone / ****** Live app menus, powerful sticky suction mount included, and the ability to block unwanted signals by hitting the mute button 3 times are using auto learn built in technology.

The only cons I can see so far are that it is bulkier than the 9500 ix . It fits the Raptor style though. It's more expensive than most of the newer radar detectors out there. I was able to get one off Amazon for $509 on Black Friday. Although it doesn't need to be sent back to factory for firmware upgrades, the upgrade process is still a little quirky. It requires a USB to micro USB cord (not included) to a PC computer or Mac with Windows 7 or above. I'd like to see that switched to in car upgrades using the Live app software. There is a newer Max 360 c that has built in Wifi and can be upgraded via wifi signal. I don't see any other advantage of the built in wifi model.

Uniden R1 and R3
The Uniden R3 was out of stock last week, but it is back now and runs about $399. The R3 has no bluetooth and no directional arrows and all on board programming (no phone app integration). It is the number 1 rated detector by a few independent sources in the last few months due to it's superior detection range which blew away the Valentine 1 and ****** Redline in actual road tests. It is smaller than the Max 360 but the sounds are a little annoying to me. You can change the volume and the type of sound you want. The R3 can also learn to block unwanted signals as well manually. What ever they tell you about being able to block unwanted signals out of the box is a bunch of BS. Believe me, it will drive you nuts to have K and X band turned on without blocking every signal you find that is unwanted. I think that is the only drawback to a really sensitive radar detector, is the unwanted signals. I just turned them off here in CA because they are not used here by police in this area. If you do mostly highway driving this one might fit your needs. If you need K band detection in your area and you do mostly city driving then I'd stick with the Max 360. If you are into cool apps and want cool directional arrows then the Max 360 is for you. :)

Attachments

• ****** Live Dashboard.jpg
    ****** Live Dashboard.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ****** Live Map.jpg
    ****** Live Map.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn good info thank you for that. I have the old raptor 2014 I’m hoping it will work with sync 2 in it? I’m looking at the 360C with WiFi
I’m in Ca also but norther and a lot of city type driving. Lots of stores and gas stations so the recognizance technology is very appealing to me. So the cop on the laser is my biggest threat and second I drive this strech once a month where they zap you even if they are driving on other side of freeway GPS radar I assume?
Is the 360C my best bet for these 2 threats?
Thank you for your time

OP
OP
A

ahallada

Reaction score
Damn good info thank you for that. I have the old raptor 2014 I’m hoping it will work with sync 2 in it? I’m looking at the 360C with WiFi
I’m in Ca also but norther and a lot of city type driving. Lots of stores and gas stations so the recognizance technology is very appealing to me. So the cop on the laser is my biggest threat and second I drive this strech once a month where they zap you even if they are driving on other side of freeway GPS radar I assume?
Is the 360C my best bet for these 2 threats?
Thank you for your time

Like I said above I don't see any advantage of the Max 360 c over the regular Max 360 other than the fact you can upgrade the firmware via wifi. If you have onboard wifi in your vehicle you can also connect to that for access to the ****** Live app without connecting to the phone. If you don't have onboard wifi then you have to be within a wifi zone for it to work. I don't see the big deal with that and I'd have to see one actually work before saying ya that's a big deal.
It's really easy to start the iphone app and it connects automatically to the radar detector via bluetooth now. Not sure the wifi capability is worth the extra $100 - 150. I paid around $505 for my Max 360 and the Max 360 C will be in the $650 range. I'd wait awhile after the release and let those prices come down and let the bugs get worked out first.

As far as the types of radar above, I'd have to know what type of radar they are utilizing and what frequencies. Most new radar detectors show the frequencies of the radar and band type being used. In CA I've never seen K band used, even Low Power IO K band. Most police departments are upgrading to Ka band and getting away from K band and CA uses mostly Ka. If they are using an instant on type of radar or laser there are a few things you can do to prevent getting busted.

First, use another car to be the rabbit in front of you that is going as fast or faster than you and stay in the passenger lane while keeping up to this car. If the officer is facing the opposite direction they will be focused on the inner lane mostly because that is usually where the faster cars drive and the outer lane is often blocked from inner lane cars. If they hit that lead car with instant on radar or laser then your detector needs to be quick and sensitive enough to pick it up. Laser is really hard to pick up and can be missed easily unless they have that beam right on your car most times. Even the newer RDs can miss Laser. That is where the apps like Waze comes in handy and Laser Jammers. You might pick up scatter if you are lucky from a near by car that is being shot with laser. I rarely see Laser in my area but they do use it in the LA and San Diego areas. . The Uniden R1 and R3 can pick up K and Ka radar up to 4 miles away but won't give you much distance if at all for Laser unless you are lucky to catch scatter. If you are the lone car out there, it might still give you the laser signal and you can slow the car down fast. Does that matter? Yep! Hit the breaks folks!

Many officers who see the front end of a vehicle drop when they are being hit with radar or laser are more likely to get by without being pulled over. What they are looking at is your reaction to the radar/laser and if you are slowing down quickly, then you are being aware of what is going on and they take that into consideration. What they don't like is when speeders continue to speed after they are hit with radar/laser and are looking around to see where it is coming from or dropping their cellphones instead of slowing down. All they know is that you may have saw them and noticed your speed and slowed down which is a good thing. Obviously if you are driving way over the speed limit you might get busted. So utilize rabbits when ever you can and try to stay in the right lane right behind the rabbit. Hit the breaks fast if you get radar reading that lights up the detector instantly but be aware of people behind you obviously. I was hit with laser one time on the interstate and I was going way over the speed limit. I hit the breaks as fast as I could. He turned his lights on from up above on the exit ramp but didn't come after me. HIs way of saying ya you better slow down buddy. haha I've heard multiple stories like this and have heard this from police officers as well.

I think you would do well with either the Uniden R3 or the Max 360. They both have good filtering for K band in the city and they both can lock out signals you don't want to hear. They are both quick enough to catch most radar over other RDs on the market today and give you plenty of time to react/ respond.

Laser Jammers: Only way to stop laser!
You can use Laser Jammers to prevent the police from obtaining your speed until you release the jammer signal after you have slowed down. If you have the money this is the way to go. It is installed in the grill of the car/truck and in the back of the car/truck and jams up the laser signal until you can slow down and then release the signal. These are illegal in many states. ****** has the Laser Shifter Pro to go along with their 9500 Ci Platinum radar detector.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/******-Pas...882489&hash=item2ccaeb0552:g:U~gAAOSw4PxaIbnq

Here is a top recommended Laser Jammer / Uniden R3 package: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALP-Laser-...668187?hash=item2f0fa0ef5b:g:FpEAAOSwdSRaDy3N

Waze app:
Lastly utilize Waze app and their community to identify police positions on the highway. This app is great and the community is growing fast. It is a free app at this time.

The Waze app seems to provide more information than the ****** Live app in my area. I rarely get any useful information from the ****** Live app. I feel like I'm the only one in the area that uses it and all I get is my own feedback. lol Waze is popular and within a 10 mile range there will be up to 1-5 people using it and it's really catching on fast. With Waze you know exactly where the police are sitting or hiding and how long ago they were spotted. I run ****** Live in the background of my iphone and Waze in the foreground. Both give me vocal notices of any hazards coming up. If you use an Android phone, you can put Waze on the Raptor Sync 3 screen with Android Play. That way you can run the ****** Live app on the phone screen and have both visible.

Summary:
1. Use the best Radar detectors for radar used in your area and need
2. Use Laser Jammers to prevent Laser detection
3. Use Waze app and if you have Android phone you can play it on the Sync 3 screen. (Boo Apple)

Here are some useful links on the Max 360 and Radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxepX8ML76M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56G_lPRV1_Y

Uniden R3 vs Radar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-sstXNW1IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTY8plP5asM

Uniden R3 vs Laser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZliZKFz6Gzg

Uniden R1 detection at 4 miles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2hyKtgnV4

Search for other videos showing Max 360 and R3 vs Ka band

Last edited:

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you definitely know your stuff thank you for sharing I’m gonna look into the laser jammers also. I’m hopping my local stereo shop knows what type we use here and can lead me the right way. The max 360 or 360C is what I’ll get unless stereo shop has different info. It’s not a typical stereo shop they are high end and pretty smart about all things new in the market.

Again thank you very much for taking your time to help with this

OP
OP
A

ahallada

Reaction score
Well you definitely know your stuff thank you for sharing I’m gonna look into the laser jammers also. I’m hopping my local stereo shop knows what type we use here and can lead me the right way. The max 360 or 360C is what I’ll get unless stereo shop has different info. It’s not a typical stereo shop they are high end and pretty smart about all things new in the market.

Again thank you very much for taking your time to help with this

I just found out that ****** has Laser Jammers for the Max 360 now. I’m going to check into them.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang it! What did I do with those boxes now to my Max 360?

Well there is a big reason to get the Max 360 c now. I like that the Jammers are wireless. Should make for an easy install.

Anyone interested in being the tester?

I think your helping him right now. Lol
I’m not home and truck is in shop anyways getting supercharger installed but I’m going to my local shop soon as I’m home and truck is finished to ask about these exact things 360C and the jammers.
Only problem with me being the tester I don’t know anything about radar or have experience to compare to. But I’m pretty sure this is what I’ll be getting

OP
OP
A

ahallada

Reaction score
Initial testing on the Max 360c have not been impressive. It falls behind the regular Max 360 even and far behind the new Uniden R1 and R3. I guess all those fancy features do have a price and take their toll on the internal processor speed. Keep it simple?

https://youtu.be/dZLaYyT2gdg