Dynamat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did everything but the roof in DIYMA's version of dynamat, but also did the whole truck (except the roof) including the floor with mass loaded vinyl sheeting with closed cell foam in between. it made a huge difference, but I did it in stages, so I cant comment on how much overall noise reduction I gained. It was a lot! The rear wall made the single biggest notable difference and really reduced the drone from the stock exhaust I'm runninmg. The doors are the hardest to get super effective noise reduction due to the glass and venting, but I made new dust covers out of the mass loaded vinyl and along with the Butyl sheeting on the outer door skin & inner panels, it helped quite a bit. And change your speakers out to something/anything good - the stockers are garbage! I still get tire noise from my M/T Deegan 38 MT's but not bad at all.

Dont know how the new aluminum cabs react to conventional noise reduction methods since the resonance frequency is different. But I assume many of the same principles apply. Check with Noah @The Car Stereo Company. He's a good dude and can best answer your questions.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just did a 17 complete upgrade. i am partial to the focal sound deadening. its the butyl rubber, foil, and foam in one piece. the customer wanted to quiet down the interior because his wife was saying it was too loud inside. i did the floor, back wall, roof and both layers of metal in the door. also in the door, i used 3 boxes of black hole tiles to completely stuff the doors with sound deadening. the tiles are about 2in thick and stick on top of the sound deadening. the bottom of the doors are where you want to focus on if you are not doing the entire door with the tiles. thats where most of the road noise and tire noise will come from in relation to the rest of the door. last check with the customer, he was extremely happy with how quiet the ride is now. you have to take into consideration the types of sound deadening. basic (dynamat, roadkill, hush mat) is just the butly with foil. focal bam and sound skins are the butyl rubber, foil, and foam. the sound skin is a little thinner than focal and foam is a little bit more firm. the focal is a little thicker but compresses a bit better. for any of you who have used these products you know that the carpet doesnt fit 100% once you add either of the 2 products due to it raising the floor level. its not a noticible difference, just takes a little work to get carpet retaining clips in place again. as far as sound goes, i still prefer the focal, but sound skins comes in a very close second. both are priced about the same as well. my 1st gen has it everywhere as well. but in regards the the second gen i just finished there was definitely a difference at all speeds. it all depends on how much you want to do and what type of material you want to use. the cost of focal and soundskins is definitely quite a bit higher, but the overall difference is well worth it for anyone who has done it compared the the basic stuff. if you are paying to have this done, you might as well get the better material and do it once rather than miss out on what you could have had. materials included a complete sound deadening job for the 2nd gens would probably be about $4k. about half and half product and labor. due to the amount of space in the doors, you can add additional deadening compared to 1st gens. we were always $3200 for complete sound deadening in 1st gen crewcabs. but i know a lot of you dont want to spend thst kind of money for sound deadening, and the basic mat will detinitely help and be a lot cheaper

OP
OP
B

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally had a chance to get into our Platinum, and I don't think that Ford changes the factory sound isolation "stuff" between trims and the noise difference at 70mph is beyond night and day vs the Raptor and Platinum V8

Speaks to how much louder the Raptor powertrain is