Dynamat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do

I'm after the same, goal was to be somewhat wowed by the isolation, as I'm not upgrading my stereo just wanted to quiet down the cab

korbendallas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the full interior with Hushmat and half inch Megabond foam. It really helped with road and wind noise, but did not do much for the exhaust drone. A Helmholtz resonator would be the best cure for a constant RPM drone. I did also notice a lower frequency response from the door speakers.

Attachments

• 20150821_102347.jpg
    20150821_102347.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 78
OP
OP
B

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the full interior with Hushmat and half inch Megabond foam. It really helped with road and wind noise, but did not do much for the exhaust drone. A Helmholtz resonator would be the best cure for a constant RPM drone. I did also notice a lower frequency response from the door speakers.

One running theory is the all aluminum cabs aren't responding as well to dynamat as the pre 2015s, no clue why but would explain why lots of people in "normal" cars see wow effects yet smurf and myself are only seeing marginal improvements here on the 2017s

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
One running theory is the all aluminum cabs aren't responding as well to dynamat as the pre 2015s, no clue why but would explain why lots of people in "normal" cars see wow effects yet smurf and myself are only seeing marginal improvements here on the 2017s

You know, I started to take db readings before hand and didn’t because... beer. anyway, I don’t have practical experience in the pre 2017 trucks, but is it possible the sound insulation in the 2017 is superior to previous years? Maybe not a lot, but possible? I do not have complaints about ambient noise with windows up, in fact, except for the enhanced engine noise, it’s rather calm.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be an effect of the noise cancellation; i.e., the dynamat is reducing the noise but the noise cancellation is tapering off proportionally so the net result seems less.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Could be an effect of the noise cancellation; i.e., the dynamat is reducing the noise but the noise cancellation is tapering off proportionally so the net result seems less.

A point of clarification.

Is it really noise cancellation or is it simply augmenting the admittedly hum-drum exhaust note, possibly by cancelling out some of the bogus sounding audio?

Noise cancellation - like the Bose noise cancelling ‘phones - ROCK. They’re great for using the Dillon RT1200 brass trimmer + shop vac, lawn mower, etc. Drown out all manner of ambient noise.

Not to take away from the Ford augmented exhaust note because you can hear the difference on youtube. But that doesn’t strike me as true noise cancellation.

so is there any sort of noise cancelling?

korbendallas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience the thin layer dyanmat asphalt, polymer or other brands equivalent is only good for keeping resonance from occurring in metal panels. If you are looking to get rid of ambient noise a sound absorbing foam is necessary. Just today I gave a guy a ride in my truck who owns a 2012 king ranch. He immediately asked me how my truck was so quiet.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In my experience the thin layer dyanmat asphalt, polymer or other brands equivalent is only good for keeping resonance from occurring in metal panels. If you are looking to get rid of ambient noise a sound absorbing foam is necessary. Just today I gave a guy a ride in my truck who owns a 2012 king ranch. He immediately asked me how my truck was so quiet.

Yea, the foil/butyl just damps the panel resonance and converts it into heat. Doesn't do much to block sound.

I also used Dynaliner in my car, it's a closed cell foam with a peel and stick backing. You can get it in different thicknesses as well. That really knocked down the noise level down more than what just the Dynamat did alone. I've read that the good heavy foam padding for carpeting works well as a sound insulator.

Newer cars in general don't respond as well because everything in the unibody is more rigid and they just have less noise overall. Triple door seals are standard on everything now. If you've taken apart any Ford made in the last 10 years, you find the "pillows" behind all the trim panels. That wasn't there in the early 2000s. You'll also find most have a big metal plate bolted to the inside of the door frame behind the trim panel. That just used to be a thin sheet of plastic over huge holes. Power windows are so much quieter than they used to be just because of that alone. That panel cuts way down on wind noise from the doors too.

I think as far as the aluminum trucks go, I would guess there should be less resonance than steel since the aluminum panels are thicker than the steel panels. Therefore Dynamat wouldn't do much.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A point of clarification.

Is it really noise cancellation or is it simply augmenting the admittedly hum-drum exhaust note, possibly by cancelling out some of the bogus sounding audio?

Yah, it's supposed to have both the enhanced exhaust and noise cancellation. Question though if they tune the noise cancellation to not effect the low end/exhaust.