Dynamat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@BajaFred:

Guy and I have both applied dynamat in a limited capacity - see his stereo upgrade for under 500 bucks thread in the audio/video/whatever section.

My take: Biggest sound impact was adding dynamat to the sub enclosure. I did all 4 doors, plus the sub enclosure. Unfortunately for me I did door speakers and dynamat at the same time so I wasn’t able to get a precise db reading or tell if it did anything for the sound quality (back to back). I would say there is a marginal to small difference in cabin noise for the better.

I started off by adding a Kicker sub and 300w Kenwood amp in the stock sub enclosure. This was a great bang for the buck mod. Dynamat on the sub enclosure made a really, really big difference in the bass quality and punch. Lots more than I expected.

Having done it, I would not dynamat the cab as a home project. I’d pay pros to do it. The doors took me about an hour to 75 minutes each.

OP
OP
B

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say there is a marginal to small difference in cabin noise for the better.

I wasn't showing all my cards, as I had doors and floors done on my 2017 but didn't want to bias replies

I can barely tell a difference vs my buddy's especially once you're into the 70s on the highway

I was expecting a lot more isolation frankly

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
did you turn off fake engine noise too?

I wasn’t expecting miracles, and I didn’t get any. I’m ok with the money spent for the mod as well as the time.

I don’t know that I’d spend it again, but I don’t regret it.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wasn't showing all my cards, as I had doors and floors done on my 2017 but didn't want to bias replies

I can barely tell a difference vs my buddy's especially once you're into the 70s on the highway

I was expecting a lot more isolation frankly

I wonder if getting the rest of the cab done would help (roof, rear wall, possibly firewall)?

OP
OP
B

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if getting the rest of the cab done would help (roof, rear wall, possibly firewall)?

Def didn't do roof, not sure about firewall but I do think we did the rear wall

Have to think if I want to open it up again to re-address areas but waiting on shop to tell me why they think it's a negligible difference vs stock

mcasseba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more the better. I did last truck in dynamate for a sound system. I am finishing a better sound system but upgraded to focal bam. Much better and used 5 rolls to do entire cab. Problem is the expense is like 3 times the cost of dynamat. But this system justifies the upgrade.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Def didn't do roof, not sure about firewall but I do think we did the rear wall

Have to think if I want to open it up again to re-address areas but waiting on shop to tell me why they think it's a negligible difference vs stock

Can you keep us posted on what they say or what the outcome is? I have a quote from a local guy I trust to do my whole interior as described for $1800 + material. I'd hate to have this done and not be wowed by the outcome. I'm also having the audio system upgraded but I'm way past the point where I would do this just to make the audio system sound better. I want road and exhaust noise eliminated. Especially the drone from my turn down.