DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thanks rogerdata! The factory amp wired to the replacement Pioneer sub isn't giving much bass, so I'm hoping that adding the Kenwood amp makes a difference. Maybe the way the factory wiring is set to the aftermarket Pioneer sub makes a difference as well.

I bought the same Posi-Tap connectors that you did but I'm going to try to run the power from the battery since I have an 8 gauge amp kit already. We will see how that goes!

I’d be interested in the battery run. I ran out of time so I didn’t get to do the battery run but would like to. It runs just fine off the inverter but I just think it would be a better option to run to the battery.

WSUCougar12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trouble with the factory sub outputs connecting with Rockford Fosgate adapter

I was able to run the 8 gauge wiring kit from the battery, through the driver side firewall and under the door trim all the way to the back wall of the cab without any issues. I am having trouble with the factory sub outputs connecting with the Rockford Fosgate RFI2SW RCA adapter. I've tried every combo I can think of with the wires and can't get the sub to turn on. I know that the amp is getting some sort of signal because it actually turns on, but I've tried all sorts of combinations of the 2 sets of speaker wires feeding into the RCA adapter and can't get sound out of the sub. Unless I'm completely overlooking something, I am thinking the problem could be the amp. In order to eliminate some variables, does anyone have pics of exactly how their factory sub speaker wires are spliced into the RCA adapter? Knowing this would lead to the likely issue being with the amp. Any help is appreciated.

As for pics regarding running the power wire from the battery through the firewall, I'll post some soon, I used self stick Velcro to attach the power wire across the very top of the engine bay, close to the wipers but still under the hood and tried to keep it clean and practical. I had to use knife to poke small holes in firewall grommet, but it worked and shouldn't be an issue.

rogerdata

Reaction score
If your sub is the Pioneer listed here. Did you wire your sub like this?

Attachments

• sub wiring.jpg
    sub wiring.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 171
  • pioneer connection001.jpg
    pioneer connection001.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

WSUCougar12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the sub is the 8" pioneer listed on this thread and I did wire it to the positive on one side and the negative on the other side, so it should be the 4 ohm setup. I will try a different line out converter and amp tonight and see if anything works.

WSUCougar12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the sub to work. I think that I had a bad line out connector/RCA adapter because using another LOC that I got from Scoshe worked. Thank you to all who helped me out on this forum. It was late when I got it to work so I still have some buttoning up to do, but I can already tell it makes a huge difference and it's money and time well spent.

Last edited:

rogerdata

Reaction score
Looks good! Specs seem comparable. Though this kit does not address one of the most lacking in the stock system. The sub is very lacking in the stock set up. Really needs the Pioneer or Kicker plus amp upgrade! Plus I purchased all of the materials including the tweeters for under $200. from Amazon. The Sub and amp was about another $150.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score