DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the pioneers still the preferred speakers for the 2017 Sony system?

The pioneer TS-T15 tweeters don’t get such favorable reviews (few saying they’re harsh). Any reason not to swap the tweeters out for the JBL GTO19Ts? Those have 600+ reviews with better feedback and cost the same as the pioneers ($35). They are 5-45rms versus the pioneers at 40w rms, so they should also be able to be driven just as well.

Or is it bad practice to have all pioneer stuff and then jbl’s up front?

Also, while I’m here... I bought the 43CWRT82 kicker sub with a different amp than what was suggested here (the Kenwood 4ohm 300w rms was suggested). I bought a 4ohm 350w rms. (It’s the jbl gtx500 which has a built in line-out converter and has great reviews.) The sub is rated for 300w rms. Does this just mean I need to keep the gain on the amp at 85% or less? (300/350=85)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the pioneers still the preferred speakers for the 2017 Sony system?

The pioneer TS-T15 tweeters don’t get such favorable reviews (few saying they’re harsh). Any reason not to swap the tweeters out for the JBL GTO19Ts? Those have 600+ reviews with better feedback and cost the same as the pioneers ($35). They are 5-45rms versus the pioneers at 40w rms, so they should also be able to be driven just as well.

Or is it bad practice to have all pioneer stuff and then jbl’s up front?

Also, while I’m here... I bought the 43CWRT82 kicker sub with a different amp than what was suggested here (the Kenwood 4ohm 300w rms was suggested). I bought a 4ohm 350w rms. (It’s the jbl gtx500 which has a built in line-out converter and has great reviews.) The sub is rated for 300w rms. Does this just mean I need to keep the gain on the amp at 85% or less? (300/350=85)

On the speakers, Guy and several others used the Pioneers with success, but others also have used different brands with success. If you're squirrelly about the Pioneer tweeters, the JBLs would be a good alternative, and you could match them with either the GTO939 or GX963 for less than $85/ea (there are equivalent Infinity Reference models, too). I used the GTO939s, paired with JBL Stadium 750T tweeters. As I said a few posts back about my install, I'd consider a component set like the JBL Club9600c if I had it to do over, because you are essentially replacing a component set, and the head unit/DSP is tuned for that setup. Now, I do have a 2018 B&O, and that is tuned quite differently than the 2017/Sony, as well as having (some) different speakers, so I will defer to the other 2017s here. Good luck!

Last edited:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the speakers, Guy and several others used the Pioneers with success, but others also have used different brands with success. If you're squirrelly about the Pioneer tweeters, the JBLs would be a good alternative, and you could match them with either the GTO939 or GX963 for less than $85/ea (there are equivalent Infinity Reference models, too). I used the GTO939s, paired with JBL Stadium 750T tweeters. As I said a few posts back about my install, I'd consider a component set like the JBL Club9600c if I had it to do over, because you are essentially replacing a component set, and the head unit/DSP is tuned for that setup. Now, I do have a 2018 B&O, and that is tuned quite differently than the 2017/Sony, as well as having (some) different speakers, so I will defer to the other 2017s here. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Law. Do you know the answer to my subwoofer question? Just trying to avoid damaging it. This is a lot of information to take in all at once, but I think I'm on the right track.

Why has no one used the Pioneer TS-A6996R 5 way 6x9 speaker instead of the A6986R 4 way? They're practically the same price and from what I've read the 5 way is substantially better than the 4 way. Am I missing something here?

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Law. Do you know the answer to my subwoofer question? Just trying to avoid damaging it. This is a lot of information to take in all at once, but I think I'm on the right track.

Why has no one used the Pioneer TS-A6996R 5 way 6x9 speaker instead of the A6986R 4 way? They're practically the same price and from what I've read the 5 way is substantially better than the 4 way. Am I missing something here?

I don't know the specific answer to the sub question...haven't done that mod. But, in general, I would err on the side of starting the gain low, playing your system at about 1/2 to 2/3 volume with any EQ off, and working the gain up toward that 85% until you get the sub performance level you want. An upgraded sub should be very noticeable. Crutchfield and other sites have some tutorials on setting sub gain, and the good news is you don't have to set a main amp gain first if you're keeping the stock head unit/amp.

As for the Pioneers, the only reason I think the 5-ways may be overkill is their placement/role in the system. The stock 6x9s in the kick panels are purely mid-bass drivers in both the Sony and B&O systems, and the systems are designed to stereo image from the A-pillar tweeters and the center channel. Putting a louder, 5-way speaker with a tweeter and 2 "super tweeters" in that low, enclosed location, and with the intended design of the system, seems unnecessary. But, others seem happy with the 4-ways, and I went with the 3way JBL GTOs in the same location. I'm a tall/big person, so my left leg is almost always blocking that left lower speaker to some degree, adversely affecting its higher frequency output. I could never get a solid answer from Ford or anyone else on what crossover/frequency was being sent to the front 6x9s, but it does sound almost full-range now through my GTOs. The overall intended design/original tuning of the system is the main reason why I say I might have gone with 6x9 components if I had it to do over. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the specific answer to the sub question...haven't done that mod. But, in general, I would err on the side of starting the gain low, playing your system at about 1/2 to 2/3 volume with any EQ off, and working the gain up toward that 85% until you get the sub performance level you want. An upgraded sub should be very noticeable. Crutchfield and other sites have some tutorials on setting sub gain, and the good news is you don't have to set a main amp gain first if you're keeping the stock head unit/amp.

As for the Pioneers, the only reason I think the 5-ways may be overkill is their placement/role in the system. The stock 6x9s in the kick panels are purely mid-bass drivers in both the Sony and B&O systems, and the systems are designed to stereo image from the A-pillar tweeters and the center channel. Putting a louder, 5-way speaker with a tweeter and 2 "super tweeters" in that low, enclosed location, and with the intended design of the system, seems unnecessary. But, others seem happy with the 4-ways, and I went with the 3way JBL GTOs in the same location. I'm a tall/big person, so my left leg is almost always blocking that left lower speaker to some degree, adversely affecting its higher frequency output. I could never get a solid answer from Ford or anyone else on what crossover/frequency was being sent to the front 6x9s, but it does sound almost full-range now through my GTOs. The overall intended design/original tuning of the system is the main reason why I say I might have gone with 6x9 components if I had it to do over. Hope that helps.

Yeah- gain is to balance the sub output to the rest of the system - generally start with the gain all the way at zero turn tune accordingly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to disassemble the wires out of this? Or do you have to cut and strip them?

Also, I’ll be wiring them to RCA plugs to go into my amp... how do you know which is which so far as what goes to what RCA wire? Going into this I expected there just to be a red and white wire... didn’t expect four of them. Can someone help? TIA

IMG_2505.jpg

This is probably it:
https://goo.gl/images/TvqM38

So in one of the rca plugs, the pink will go to + and the yellow will go to -. The other plug will be green to + and grey to -. Ok. So after that, which rca plug will go to the red amp input and which will go to the white amp input?

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you’re at the sub, correct?

left channel + right channel, +/-. I believe we started with my “added a sub” thread, which refers to an F150 forum post, applicable to Sony 802A systems.

@Guy piled on by researching and purchasing speaker replacements, dynamat, etc. The f150 forum thread may id the wire colors.

To answer your question, yes, they do make a tool to unseat those wires from the connectors; Or you can cut and splice more cheaply. As I didn’t identify the tool by name, you can probably guess what I did.

Rugster

Reaction score

Lawdog- I Installed the JBL 6x9’s as you did in the front doors and they pop at loud volume. Have you had this issue?

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lawdog- I Installed the JBL 6x9’s as you did in the front doors and they pop at loud volume. Have you had this issue?

My left one will distort a bit at max volume on a few really bass-heavy tracks, but it's at the absolute max and I've been able to avoid it on 99% of sources/listening situations. It's like that much bigger magnet is calling for more than the amp can give. Tuning the bass level down a bit pretty much eliminated it...I listen to most of my music via an iPod Classic, and I set the EQ for "treble booster" and then adjust the B&O EQ off of that. Overall, they have broken in nicely, and I like them better now than when first installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried pairing jbl tweeters and infinity tweeters with the pioneer setup to get more “tweet” up front.

The character of the sound is different. It’s brighter. So it sounded strange mixed with the other speakers. It’s not that they were bad. They didn’t blend well. I would stick with all one brand.... whatever brand you choose.

I did the pioneer 5 way speakers. I returned the 4 ways. Did it make a difference? Not really. Can’t tell. But no worse.