DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I didn’t do a line controller; just exactly as pictured in
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f266/added-sub-52819/

see the f150 forum link.

we are ‘intercepting’ the signal to the sub speaker and using the output of the sony amp to the speaker as input to the more powerful amp, and outputting that amp to the sub speaker.

BDF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy the extra 3.5 center if you still have it.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this on a 801a with the kicker option. As you can imagine it needs work.
Will this setup work for the 801a Raptors?
I am guessing we are working with even less power.
The Kicker is pretty soft as well....
Any ideas.
Thank you

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this on a 801a with the kicker option. As you can imagine it needs work.
Will this setup work for the 801a Raptors?
I am guessing we are working with even less power.
The Kicker is pretty soft as well....
Any ideas.
Thank you

Well for one, you don’t have the Sony amp back there. Do you have any kind of amp there? I would think you should be able to do a similar install to what @Guy and I and a few others have done with speaker level input, amp it, feed to the sub.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the truck Friday and have been driving back from TX to Ca so I haven't looked to much. It doesn't appear to have an amp where the 802 guys have them. The Kicker 8 inch sub appears to have a built in amp (I don't know if there is any adjustment on it)
I will look today to see what all is behind the rear seat.

Will I need a pac interface or lc7i to install an amp or is there an other way?
I have been watching a few You Tube videos ...

smurfslayer

Reaction score
You might be able to swap amps. I am doubtful you’ll get much out of the stock Kicker amp / sub. BUT... your enclosure may be more friendly to a better speaker / amp upgrade.

If it’s like I suspect, you may be able to just take the amp out of the picture, swap in a new one, replace the speaker and go. You’ll need to check the kicker model number for the speaker to see what kind of punch it can handle.

if the amp you have is connected with a harness you might need to do a little poking around to get a connection, OR go to Crutchfield and see if they offer something that would plug in. The Sony system is not something they mess with but th neon-sony system they do have info on.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a little looking. I could not find any other amps unless it would be under the dash.
I was under the impression the Kicker sub I ordered with my 801a was the (Kicker SF150SC15 VSS™ SubStage) They look the same , however, I no longer believe it is the same.
The enclosure appears to be the same but the amp looks different. It is silver, not black and says (Ford MC made in China / G245D77P1471) I couldn't reference the number to anything. The woofer wires from the amp also enter the enclosure on the front several inches from the sub rather then the side.
I may call Kicker or Crutchfield

Thoughts?
Was thinking of doing the speaker swap with the Pioneer speakers and If It is not significant get an amp. Has anyone run the mentioned speakers with a decent amp?

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did a little looking. I could not find any other amps unless it would be under the dash.
I was under the impression the Kicker sub I ordered with my 801a was the (Kicker SF150SC15 VSS™ SubStage) They look the same , however, I no longer believe it is the same.
The enclosure appears to be the same but the amp looks different. It is silver, not black and says (Ford MC made in China / G245D77P1471) I couldn't reference the number to anything. The woofer wires from the amp also enter the enclosure on the front several inches from the sub rather then the side.
I may call Kicker or Crutchfield

Thoughts?
Was thinking of doing the speaker swap with the Pioneer speakers and If It is not significant get an amp. Has anyone run the mentioned speakers with a decent amp?

would be interesting to see the differences between the '17 and '18

here's the '17 parts list...

https://2017-ford-raptor.blogspot.com/2017/04/600-for-premium-sound-system-is-it.html

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to open the link... I will try when I get home it may be blocked from here.
Appears as a blank page.

blk91gt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its conformed, the Ford Kicker optional sub is different than the Kicker Sub-stage. The Ford / Kicker sub (Ford part number VGL3Z-18808-A) was designed to work with the auto start / stop technology and consequently is only 100 watts vs 200. I got this information from Kicker and also found some info here. https://accessories.ford.com/speaker-asy-11494.html

The kicker rep said they don't have any amps that are compatible with the auto start / stop technology in ecoboost Fords. Hmmm???
Anyone having problems with there aftermarket amps and auto start / stop technology in ecoboost Fords?