DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great post Guy and thanks to the others that provided input.

I would like to do the same setup, but I have the 801A with the upgraded Kicker subwoofer but not the Sony sound system (I am assuming, but not sure). If it is not the Sony sound system, would the set up Guy describes work or should I get another amp for the upgraded speakers.

Thanks

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody not using a high quality line level converter is missing out
http://www.audiocontrol.com/car-audio/factory-system-upgrade/lc2i/

It takes the speaker level inputs form the factory amp and provides a pre amp level signal for the sub amp. Additionally it turns on when it detects signal and provides the amp a 12v signal to turn on the amp! This will allow you to turn up your sub and start shaking the mirrors!
717e179f2ed24d30809d72d11862de9e.jpg

Now it's really sounded good!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an easy add on.

So now the big question.... does it stop the bass from rolling off at high volume?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You will still lose the sub when the truck powers down at a stop, as that unit uses the line level signal, which gets cut when the truck shuts down for auto start/stop.

It may clean up the signal to the sub, but, you’re still getting the sound levels capped at all the remaining speakers, unless ( I think ) you use for scan to update the signal settings(?)

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will still lose the sub when the truck powers down at a stop, as that unit uses the line level signal, which gets cut when the truck shuts down for auto start/stop.

It may clean up the signal to the sub, but, you’re still getting the sound levels capped at all the remaining speakers, unless ( I think ) you use for scan to update the signal settings(?)

Smurf...

I've got a fix for that man.... 5 star tune deactivates that start stop stuff....

And it makes the truck even more fun...

Hmmmm... I know just what you need buddy.

Lol

roscopeeco78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pros and cons over wiring off the battery instead of the inverter?

Last edited:

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an easy add on.

So now the big question.... does it stop the bass from rolling off at high volume?

Yes, it has a specific feature to counter bass roll off. Its called "ACCUbass" setting.

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Last edited:

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smurf...

I've got a fix for that man.... 5 star tune deactivates that start stop stuff....

And it makes the truck even more fun...

Hmmmm... I know just what you need buddy.

Lol

Actually you do not with this unit. It is receiving the ON/OFF signal from the audio input and then triggering the amp so as long as the audio is playing the sub will be on

nofire

Reaction score
So I've done all 7 speakers and dynamatted the HE'LL out of the doors and it sounds light years better than before. I just finished dynamatting the floor and then putting dynaliner on top of that, so here's to hoping it sounds even better.

I do have a question though. I'm currently finishing up the sub and amp mod and I'm trying to figure out which sub output wires from the Sony amp go to which wire on my LC. I see people who are guessing until they get sound. But at this point I figured we would have a definite answer. So does anyone know?