DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Told you so!

You keep saying Panasonic though! It's pioneer man! Pioneer!

Anyway...

I'm surprised how well the dynamat worked. Best way I can describe it.... it made the stock sub enclosure sound much more like a real particle board custom built sub enclosure. The plasticky hollowness completely goes away and the bass "thud" is very accurate and clean.

alright, so Guy having sufficiently depleted my recreational funds for a while, I picked up some dynamat, and parts to accomplish this upgrade.

I actually kind of started it with Guy, I put the sub in, then Guy spent a few bills more for a full upgrade; His plan differed only by the Sub; he went with the Panasonic, I went with the Kicker. The former has more range, the latter more punch (300w @2 ohms). Since I already had the sub box modified, I opted to start here.

I pulled out the sub box.

First, I went back on my install of the sub, amp and wiring.
I have plastic sheathing unused, so I used that on the power run to the inverter power, then cleaned up the other wires to the amp. I also used a straight piece of aluminum to form a mount for the amp that is much more sturdy than previous.

Meanwhile, back at the sub box, I took my first stab at dynamat. Let me just say, it looked simple enough and it’s not rocket science but it does take some thinking and care in execution. I ended up at about 1.5 rolls to do the sub enclosure. Once I buttoned everything back up, I ran a few songs over the radio and the results were good. I can hear more bass, feel more punch from said bass, see more mirror vibrating and the quality of the bass is improved.

My plan going forward, depending on how much time I have available in the ensuing days/weeks is to tackle a set of speakers at a time, probably rear first, then front and I’ll dynamat the doors too at the same time.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I blame you Guy:win:

You spent all my spare recreational money and now I’m so poor, I can’t pay attention! I went back and corrected my post. AGAIN!

If I’m lucky, I’ll have some time maybe Sunday to tackle the next part.

BTW - anyone looking for a center channel speaker? I have 2, only need 1 :)

Spence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I blame you Guy:win:

You spent all my spare recreational money and now I’m so poor, I can’t pay attention! I went back and corrected my post. AGAIN!

If I’m lucky, I’ll have some time maybe Sunday to tackle the next part.

BTW - anyone looking for a center channel speaker? I have 2, only need 1 :)

Do you still have that center channel speaker?

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best wire strippers, I've ever used are Klein. I don't like the self adjusting type since they tend to only cut part of the insulation and pull the rest apart. I prefer traditional style strippers, since the will cut through the insulation on all sides.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-11055-Tools-Kurve-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B00080DPNQ?tag=hicons-20

For crimping, it doesn't get any better than this.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Ratcheting-Crimper-Dies/dp/B01CTHF2MC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493908463&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=klein+Ratcheting+Wire+Terminal+Crimper

Following this thread - really good stuff - thanks Guy(s)!

Best stripper ever especially when working in tight spaces (like under the dash or underhood - Upfitter work):

51AGKrH%2B1pL._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-11063W-Katapult-Stripper/dp/B00BC39YFQ

EDIT: Well, best stripper tool that is. Not to be confused with the other kind of stripper...

16082cac56524b6f5bc98e1029525559.jpg

Last edited:

PhiDeltBeers

Reaction score
I just changed all my speakers as well. I went with the 5way Pioneers for the front doors. I had a JL Audio 10w6 in the garage and paired it with a JL Audio XD1000/5v2'running 600 watts into it on the sub channel. Eventually I'll buy the JL Audio 8" Microsub for under the seat and remove the 10w6. But wow what a difference these speakers make. I couldn't believe that the "cheap" pioneer speaker would sound so well and I've run Hertz and JL Audio C5 components in other vehicles. For the amount of money and time this took me, it's a no brainer. I actually ran a power cable to the battery for peace of mind. I highly recommend these speakers and thanks to the guys who shared!