DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My one piece of advice...

Get a decent pair of wire crimpers/strippers. The kit you have there is great and covers the ends you need, and that's what I used...

But the crimpers will kill your hands. They're cheap as heck and cost around 5 bucks.

Go on to Amazon and search wire crimpers and pick a pair with a heavy handle probably 10-15 bucks.

Your friend will thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

And one last piece of advice to those doing it.

If you put a drop of hot glue on all the screws as you screw them in... it'll make sure you have years or rattle free sound. I saw that tip on YouTube.

The screws are still able to be removed but the glue hardens rubbery and is sound deadening.

Mcdonaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice tip! What type of glue super elmers? Wonder if the lock tire thread stuff be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice tip! What type of glue super elmers? Wonder if the lock tire thread stuff be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hot glue... like the stuff out of a hot glue gun. 10 bucks at Walmart or on Amazon.

It goes on clear.
Dries when cool.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My one piece of advice...

Get a decent pair of wire crimpers/strippers. The kit you have there is great and covers the ends you need, and that's what I used...

But the crimpers will kill your hands. They're cheap as heck and cost around 5 bucks.

Go on to Amazon and search wire crimpers and pick a pair with a heavy handle probably 10-15 bucks.

Your friend will thank you.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

And one last piece of advice to those doing it.

If you put a drop of hot glue on all the screws as you screw them in... it'll make sure you have years or rattle free sound. I saw that tip on YouTube.

The screws are still able to be removed but the glue hardens rubbery and is sound deadening.

IRWIN VISE-GRIP Self-Adjusting Wire Stripper, 8",2078300 $16
81O3JFNQB-L._SL1500_.jpg

this one is pretty slick!

also, instead of glue - maybe use some blue loctite? :)

Permatex 24200 Medium Strength Threadlocker Blue, 6 ml $7
A13Y4QL5QWL._SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loctite is great...

But the argument is that hot glue dries to a rubber consistency and dampens any vibration that may exist.

What I can say is that I did it... and nothing rattles or vibrates....

But it probably would have been fine without it...

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Loctite is great...

But the argument is that hot glue dries to a rubber consistency and dampens any vibration that may exist.

Good idea!!

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best wire strippers, I've ever used are Klein. I don't like the self adjusting type since they tend to only cut part of the insulation and pull the rest apart. I prefer traditional style strippers, since the will cut through the insulation on all sides.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-11055-Tools-Kurve-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B00080DPNQ?tag=hicons-20

For crimping, it doesn't get any better than this.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Ratcheting-Crimper-Dies/dp/B01CTHF2MC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493908463&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=klein+Ratcheting+Wire+Terminal+Crimper

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best wire strippers, I've ever used are Klein. I don't like the self adjusting type since they tend to only cut part of the insulation and pull the rest apart. I prefer traditional style strippers, since the will cut through the insulation on all sides.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-11055-Tools-Kurve-Stripper-Cutter/dp/B00080DPNQ?tag=hicons-20

For crimping, it doesn't get any better than this.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Ratcheting-Crimper-Dies/dp/B01CTHF2MC/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493908463&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=klein+Ratcheting+Wire+Terminal+Crimper

I second this motion.

Mpkilkenny

Reaction score
Poly fill

Hi Guy,

In one of your previous posts you mentioned you put poly fill in your sub box. I noticed mine came with some blue 'fill' in it already. How much poly fill did you put in it?

Loctite is great...