CB radio setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my handheld GMRS unit, but some groups I wheel with still use CBs. So I just installed a basic CB setup in my 2017.

Went with a small and portable Midland handheld unit, F150 hood mount, 2 foot firestick antenna (may add a spring later) and connectors. Cable is routed into center console and everything tucks neatly into a corner of the center console when not in use. I tuned it to under 2 with an SWR meter, but range remains to be seen till I hit the trails next weekend.

RifoH4HEOdjJoTXpIisnX5fVsgGXOu0OD2Xx-YvyYHlY55_9_c.jpg

U6xAP_ZMN9AFPNFi-TwXhJKS0Hq4QKjuQzh7KzG9S0qf9OWWAc.jpg

WJBrtH_md7Q0UGokE7JB5Qd2tgGZT9YpTotiksDxBB6HMgsa24.jpg

us0aOlFlQvXLJ58YM8mTUl1rD6ikNCDbPMmZM6TGrFwcDpUC30.jpg

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed a GMRS unit as well. Went with the Midland MXT105 unit and MXTA10 antenna. Same NCG hood mount.

DE0UpP_QE6jPYdAHEXhIL0g1Og54o5r_iCypAXopjcXY4CAprI.jpg

amrcyNJHF83Xh66NA1fCg4QOAoFZG1yRBrbtOPvEgP53THKXQY.jpg

_WNDC5bkuBPxhQMjtVbcAjaGQWg90mnodewR-HwXm6gdSkyfKE.jpg
can u talk to the space station :mwah1:... lol. u got some radio power there. don't rf fry urself.

i'm looking for comms right now too. think i'm gonna Yaesu handheld for now.

Last edited:

jsouth5

Reaction score
How did you all route the antenna cable to get it into the center console? I'm looking at that (expensive) 3rd tail light antenna mount and would like to hide away the radio in the console. Just not sure the easiest route to get in there.

Also, how is the range on the handheld unit with the truck mounted antenna? Is it a significant improvement over just using the screw on antenna for the radio?

grumble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you all route the antenna cable to get it into the center console? I'm looking at that (expensive) 3rd tail light antenna mount and would like to hide away the radio in the console. Just not sure the easiest route to get in there.

Also, how is the range on the handheld unit with the truck mounted antenna? Is it a significant improvement over just using the screw on antenna for the radio?

for my 2m/73cm install, i used a stake pocket mount from Breedlove Mounts. I mounted the antenna on the passenger side, wrapped the coax in wire loom, and routed it inside the side of the bed, coming out at the front of the bed and into the frame. Up through the frame to the passenger side cabin, there is a rubber drain plug - put it up the drain plug and under the carpet - voila!