Apple CarPlay not always activated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 50% of the time my Sync3 system is not engaging Apple CarPlay when I connect my iPhone via usb. When I switch to Bluetooth audio I can hear the connection chime randomly as it keeps dropping and reconnecting but never engaging CarPlay. Anyone else having this issue? The Apple adapter cable I’m using is new and charges my phone just fine when outside my Raptor. So frustrating.

lightman02

Reaction score
Well CarPlay needs the data connection to work properly via usb. Are you using an actual Apple cable? Could also be an issue with your phone not loading CarPlay properly when it's plugged in. I have seen this when the port on the phone gets dirty and doesn't make a good connection at times.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well CarPlay needs the data connection to work properly via usb. Are you using an actual Apple cable? Could also be an issue with your phone not loading CarPlay properly when it's plugged in. I have seen this when the port on the phone gets dirty and doesn't make a good connection at times.

Yes, using the white apple cable adapter that came with my iPhone. CarPlay loads about 50% of the time after I startup my truck. Some weeks are better than others but it's very inconsistent.

lightman02

Reaction score
Could be the phone being stupid, USB cable wearing out, dirty contacts in the phone, cable, or USB ports. You can trying cleaning them up and see if that helps. It could be the truck however I had a similar problem and it was caused by a dirty USB port in my phone as I use android.

OP
OP
solsurfr

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the phone being stupid, USB cable wearing out, dirty contacts in the phone, cable, or USB ports. You can trying cleaning them up and see if that helps. It could be the truck however I had a similar problem and it was caused by a dirty USB port in my phone as I use android.

Thanks I'll give it a try but I do keep my truck pretty clean.

MurMech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been experiencing issues where it will connect and disconnect momentarily until I compleety shut off and try again.

cnr1089

Reaction score
I've been experiencing issues where it will connect and disconnect momentarily until I compleety shut off and try again.

I am seeing an issue where if I engage any of the cameras (backup, or pressing the button), carplay disconnects (including if I am on a call). I have to disconnect the cable and re-connect for it to work again. It is a PITA and I think I need a SYNC update (going to try tonight).

RaptorMaryland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try this

1 start truck first, let the system boot up.
2. On phone start up waze or the app you want
3. Now connect via usb

Works every time on my Raptor.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have noticed that if I'm too quickly in connecting the phone (Sync not fully started) it won't start ApplePlay. As mentioned before... give it a bit to start, then connect the phone.