Advice on B&O play upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pittmd

Reaction score
I want to upgrade the B&O play speakers by replacing the OEM front and rear speakers with 6.5" JL C2s and placing a JL amplified dual 8" ported enclosure under the rear seats. I'm not an audiophile nor am I interested in rattling my neighbors' windows. I just want a nice clean sounding system. Is the stock amp powerful enough to drive the C2 door speakers cleanly at moderate volumes?? Is the nominal impedance of the OEM speakers 4 ohms?? Any thoughts on whether these upgrades will make a noticeable difference from the OEM speakers if they are driven by the stock amp?? Thx!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not directly applicable, but the Sony is 25w rms and responds well to decent speakers. I get real bass from the front 6x9’s now. I’m sure the b&o is at least as powerful.

I would do the upgrade again, for sure.

I think the sub makes the biggest improvement.

OP
OP
P

Pittmd

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...did you just keep the Sony sub?? I went all out on my Gen1 system and don't want to invest that kind of money on my Gen 2 if I can get decent sound and base by simply replacing speakers and putting the amp'd box under the rear seat

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...did you just keep the Sony sub?? I went all out on my Gen1 system and don't want to invest that kind of money on my Gen 2 if I can get decent sound and base by simply replacing speakers and putting the amp'd box under the rear seat

h@lls no! I put a 300w kenwood amp behind a kicker 8” sub using line level input. I went back on it and dynamatted the sub enclosure. You have to mod the enclosure to make the kicker or other 8” fit, but it’s worth it.

This was the biggest sound improvement I made, however, @Guy went a step further and sourced some pioneer speaker replacements that are very nice; have a huge range, and great sensitivity so you get a bunch more sound for the speaker. You can actually feel the bass from the front doors, not just the sub.

I wanted to keep the sub behind the rear seat, so I stayed with an 8” for now. I’d love to get a 10” sub behind the seat but I suspect that would be a big challenge. I don’t want to give up any cargo space and our golden- Henry Tudor, would frown upon a sub box in the rear seat area.

The stock speakers are adequate and that’s it.

I’ve put a tick over 650 into the mods I have and it’s not audiophile quality, but, I also didn’t have to crack open the dash or do a cr@p ton of work.

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade the B&O play speakers by replacing the OEM front and rear speakers with 6.5" JL C2s and placing a JL amplified dual 8" ported enclosure under the rear seats. I'm not an audiophile nor am I interested in rattling my neighbors' windows. I just want a nice clean sounding system. Is the stock amp powerful enough to drive the C2 door speakers cleanly at moderate volumes?? Is the nominal impedance of the OEM speakers 4 ohms?? Any thoughts on whether these upgrades will make a noticeable difference from the OEM speakers if they are driven by the stock amp?? Thx!!

You definitely don't need an amp. You should go up to 6X9s with Metra adapters in your front doors. I went with 6X9 JLs in front doors and 6X5's in the rear on my 12 Raptor and it was huge upgrade over the stock ****** paper speakers. I did the same with my 17 Raptor but went with all Kicker speakers because I got an amazing deal on the stuff.

OP
OP
P

Pittmd

Reaction score
Thanks for your posts.... did either of you replace the center channel speaker??

smurfslayer

Reaction score
Thanks for your posts.... did either of you replace the center channel speaker??

Sure. it’s inexpensive, not sure it really contributes a bunch, but, you get a better speaker.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
@Guy remarked that it's added range and loudness made the Front Stage sound a bit better. And for the price, I think it's worth it.

Honestly, I didn’t pick up any difference on it, until or unless I mess with the treble. I definitely pick it up by upping the higher range signal on the sync audio options, but at normal settings, I didn’t get any real benefit to doing that update. It’s no doubt a better quality speaker though.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly, I didn’t pick up any difference on it, until or unless I mess with the treble. I definitely pick it up by upping the higher range signal on the sync audio options, but at normal settings, I didn’t get any real benefit to doing that update. It’s no doubt a better quality speaker though.

Gotcha.

Did you do the A-Pillar tweeters as well? I'm debating on doing just doors and sub or doing tweeters and center, too.