6.5 or 6x9 front speakers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evan9r

Reaction score
Im really wanting to upgrade the speakers in my 17 802A SCREW but I am on the fence about what to upgrade them with. Ive pretty much settled on the 8" Kicker/Kenwood combo for the subwoofer. I think this will be the best bang for the buck and probably give me all the sub bass I need. However I am still undecided about the front and rear speakers. I went to the local audio shop and listened to a few and the one I really liked are the Hertz DSK 165.3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B5JPTS/?tag=fordraptorforum-20 Ive seen them on Amazon for as low as $100 and they have good sensitivity but Im afraid they may lose some bass over the stock 6x9s. Thoughts?

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about everyone I've talked to says don't lose the surface area/bass of the 6x9 in that location for a 6.5.

The Hertz are great speakers, but I'm not sure you'll get the full benefit from them with just the stock head unit/amp driving them. On the 2018 B&O, the front 6x9s are essentially a component pair with the A-Pillar tweeter and the 6x9 mid-bass driver being driven/crossed over separately from the stock amp, which most agree seems to push about 25w. I think it's the same for the 2017 Sony system, but I'd defer to others who've dealt directly with it. Many folks have opted for easier to drive/cheaper speakers in the 6x9 kickpanel location for this reason/if you're not going to upgrade the amp. The Pioneers referenced in the "Stereo Upgrade for under $500" thread have been used (which also dealt with a 2017 Sony system), and a few of us have opted for the JBL GTO or Club line (or the equivalent Infinity) because they are easy to drive, either with a component set or a 3way 6x9 and separate tweeters for the A-pillars. No one seems to know for sure what crossover point/frequency range is being sent to the 6x9s, and even Ford/Harman won't disclose it to me after repeated email inquiries.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
^^^^ This.

The Pioneer 6x9’s actually produce bass you can feel with the stock head unit/amp. worth it.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
6x9 fronts and 6.5" rears. Folks have really good things to say about the Pioneer speakers without an aftermarket amp.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I replaced the Sony speakers (2016 KR) and stock sub with the Kicker VSS speakers and Kicker sub/200w amp/enclosure. Was about $1K total and sounds much better than stock for sure.